Circular Reference Problem

CDelSignore

I have a workbook with many tabs and use the same formula on some of them. The formula?

=TODAY()-(WEEKDAY(TODAY(),2))-7​

One just one of at least 4 tabs that uses this exact equation, I get a Circular Reference warning. It's not really causing any issues as it produces correct info, but it's annoying. Any idea why only one tab would be have this issue?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
The formula you posted has no range references, so I don't see how it could return that warning.
- Are you absolutely sure that is the EXACT formula returning the Circular Reference warning (make sure there is a letter in front of the 2 or 7 number in the formula)?
- Are your sure it isn't a formula in a different cell returning the error?
- Do you have any named ranges on that sheet? If so, what are the names?

Upvote 0
If you have any < > characters in the formula then put spaces around them when posting here as the forum hides the < > characters making formulas impossible to read.

Upvote 0
The formula you posted has no range references, so I don't see how it could return that warning.
- Are you absolutely sure that is the EXACT formula returning the Circular Reference warning (make sure there is a letter in front of the 2 or 7 number in the formula)?
- Are your sure it isn't a formula in a different cell returning the error?
- Do you have any named ranges on that sheet? If so, what are the names?

@Joe4: Yes, that is the exact formula/cell. Lower left hand corner identifies that cell as the location of the circular reference warning.
@Special-K99: I didn't know that about the greater than/less than symbols. Thank you for that tip. My formula does not contain them, though.

When I click on Error Checking, I get a pop up saying it was complete for the entire sheet. I only get the warning when I calculate the entire sheet (I have it set to manual, not autocalculate). When I click on the Error Checking dropdown, Circular References is grayed out, even.

Upvote 0
Lower left hand corner identifies that cell as the location of the circular reference warning.
I thought those were typically in the upper left corner of a cell, not the lower left corner.

What about my question regarding named ranges?

Upvote 0
No Named Ranges.

I purposely created a couple circular references (sums including the cell with the formula) and there was no formula error drop down next to the cell. I do know what you're talking about, though.

Upvote 0
Rather odd...

If you delete the formula from that cell, does the Circular Reference warning go away?

Upvote 0
I have no explanation. I cannot recreate that behavior.
Without having access to the workbook, I don't think there is anything I can do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back