Code to change row (cell range) color with or without button

asdsparky

Board Regular
I'm working on a spreadsheet that uses colors for quality of items (Good=green, Fair=yellow, Poor=red or N/A=gray). Each row will need to change to the color of the rating for that row and needs to stay within columns A-J. Also, if I select a different rating for the row, the color needs to change for that rating. I would prefer to accomplish this by simply selecting the appropriate box for the row rather than adding a radial button in each box (very time consuming). I have attempted with conditional formatting and with vba codes and with grouping radial buttons but I can't seem to get it right. Here is an example of my worksheet:https://flic.kr/p/ZBjhvq. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
If I understand what you want then this would work:
We will get back to explaining how you can have two selection change events in the same sheet after we get this script working for you by itself.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Column = 7 Then Range(Cells(Target.Row, "A"), Cells(Target.Row, "J")).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
If Target.Column = 8 Then Range(Cells(Target.Row, "A"), Cells(Target.Row, "J")).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
If Target.Column = 9 Then Range(Cells(Target.Row, "A"), Cells(Target.Row, "J")).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
If Target.Column = 10 Then Range(Cells(Target.Row, "A"), Cells(Target.Row, "J")).Interior.ColorIndex = 15
End Sub

Upvote 0
My script start in row(1). Try it and if it works I can modify it to start on row (14) I did not see that requirement in your original post.

Upvote 0
Try this:
It will start on row(14)
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Row < 14 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Column = 7 Then Range(Cells(Target.Row, "A"), Cells(Target.Row, "J")).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
If Target.Column = 8 Then Range(Cells(Target.Row, "A"), Cells(Target.Row, "J")).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
If Target.Column = 9 Then Range(Cells(Target.Row, "A"), Cells(Target.Row, "J")).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
If Target.Column = 10 Then Range(Cells(Target.Row, "A"), Cells(Target.Row, "J")).Interior.ColorIndex = 15
End Sub

Upvote 0
Rick, With the code you provided, I already have a code with this name "Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)" and I'm getting the ambiguous name error.
You can only have one Worksheet_SelectionChange event procedure per worksheet. Here is what I propose you use for the request in this thread... put any existing and future code you may have for this event after the code I have written in the location I highlighted in green below.
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Target.CountLarge = 1 Then
    If Target.Row > 13 And Target.Column > 6 And Target.Column < 11 And Target.Count = 1 Then
      With Intersect(Target.EntireRow, Columns("A:J"))
        .Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = Choose(Target.Column - 6, 4, 6, 3, 15)
        .Cells.Font.ColorIndex = Choose(Target.Column - 6, 1, 1, 2, 1)
        .Cells.Font.Bold = Target.Column = 9
      End With
    End If
  End If
[B][COLOR="#008000"]  '
  '  Put any other Worksheet_SelectionChange code here
  '
[/COLOR][/B]End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the response. Both codes give me the same result. You guys are awesome. I do have a couple of other thoughts on this one: 1. can I add an X the cell with the cell selection at the same time as changing the color? 2. Can I use an RGB code (##,##,##) for custom colors rather than color index? 3. Can I add to the 'Reset_Click' (Module 2) code to clear the fill color when I reset the worksheet?

Upvote 0
Sub Reset_Click()
Worksheets("Master Indicator List").range("F4:G9").ClearContents
Worksheets("Master Indicator List").range("F14:J400").ClearContents
With range("A14:J400").Interior
.Pattern = xlNone
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NJOO7

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back