combination of XIRR. Indirect and match

ASZ_Excel

Hello Everyone,

I have been working on a spreadsheet created by someone else, however I cannot figure below formula. Can anyone help explain it? Thank you.

=XIRR(INDIRECT("R"&MATCH(B4,A:A,0)&":R"&MATCH(K4,A:A,0)),INDIRECT("A"&MATCH(B4,A:A,0)&":A"&MATCH(K4,A:A,0)))

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi, welcome to the board.

Which bit are you struggling with ?

The XIRR function is one that I have not used myself, but looking at Excel help, it "Returns the internal rate of return for a schedule of cash flows".
Take a look at Excel's built in help facility if you need more information about how it works.

The function requires at least two arguments, and the rest of your formula is basically working out two range references to use for those two arguments.

Using Excel's built in Formula / Evaluate tool might also help you here.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board.

XIRR returns the internal rate of return for a schedule of cash flows.

=XIRR(R10:R100,A10:A100)

where R10:R100 is the range of values, and A10:A100 is the range of dates.

Based on your formula, column A must be the dates. B4 has the starting date, and K4 has the ending date. So MATCH(B4,A:A,0) finds the row in column A where you find the starting date, and MATCH(K4,A:A,0) finds the row with the ending date. Then by using the & operator, the formula creates a text representation of the range you want, and the INDIRECT turns that into an actual range. Same thing on the second part, but with the date range.

So in summary, the formula finds the Internal rate of return using B4 as the start date, K4 as the end date, and the values in columns R and A.

Upvote 0

Thank you, Eric and Gerald.

I know how to use XIRR, but got confused by Indirect and Match combination. I never tried to combine the two together in the past.

(INDIRECT("R"& MATCH(B4,A:A,0)&":R"&MATCH(K4,A:A,0)),

Welcome to the Board.

XIRR returns the internal rate of return for a schedule of cash flows.

=XIRR(R10:R100,A10:A100)

where R10:R100 is the range of values, and A10:A100 is the range of dates.

Based on your formula, column A must be the dates. B4 has the starting date, and K4 has the ending date. So MATCH(B4,A:A,0) finds the row in column A where you find the starting date, and MATCH(K4,A:A,0) finds the row with the ending date. Then by using the & operator, the formula creates a text representation of the range you want, and the INDIRECT turns that into an actual range. Same thing on the second part, but with the date range.

So in summary, the formula finds the Internal rate of return using B4 as the start date, K4 as the end date, and the values in columns R and A.

Upvote 0
The INDIRECT function is basically a way of building cell or range references from multiple separate components.

The MATCH function is used to identify the position of a particular value within a row or column.

Do you need more help with this ?

Upvote 0
Thank you, Eric and Gerald.

I know how to use XIRR, but got confused by Indirect and Match combination. I never tried to combine the two together in the past.

(INDIRECT("R"& MATCH(B4,A:A,0)&":R"&MATCH(K4,A:A,0)),

I got it! Many thanks for your help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back