Combine Sheets with Different Column Layout/Headers into 1 Sheet

eyal8r

Board Regular
Hey guys-
I spent most the night searching, and attempting this- but not finding an easy solution. I have 60+ worksheets, all have about 30+ columns in them. The column order and headers are not the same (similar, but not the same). I need to take about 8 of the columns from each, and combine/append all that data into one sheet. So, the "First Name" column from each sheet will append to the Master Sheet- giving me a master sheet with 8 columns total and all the data from the source sheets appended within that. I hope that makes sense.

So, I know I can manually copy/paste it one by one. I did that before with only 3 columns, and it took me over a day to complete. Now I need 8+ columns and I want to find an easier way.

I know I can setup a Connection/Microsoft Query. But, since the headers/column orders don't match up, I would need a way to map each sheet's columns to the master sheet's columns.

Question: Is there a way to import sheets, and map the columns from each sheet to the master sheet's columns? It would then need to append that data to the existing data in the master sheet's columns. I was hoping there was an easy drag/drop type interface to do this (even within Access maybe???) and not a VBA solution (not good at all with VBA, I think it'll cause more problems as the data isn't consistent).

Sidenote- not sure if it matters, but- some of the rows might have blanks/empty cells.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi eyal8r,
that is a nasty data-mess you're trying to handle... Having said that, it sounds like VBA is the way to go. I'm pretty handy with SQL/Access, but that wouldn't help much. I gave it a spin and came up with this workbook, which (on a smaller scale) does what you want: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l7ywfwzfk5j20sr/AACXwUGywU-4J-IWwdZY58Ppa?dl=0 (file named TransferDataToOneSheet.xlsm ).
Hope that helps,
Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back