Combobox, when I hit enter (or Tab) i need excel to move to next cell

Bravo2003

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have hunted high and low for this one with out any solutions appearing?

I have a Combobox that auto completes as I type in it from the relevant list, but when I hit enter (or Tab) it doesn't change to the next cell and just stays highlighted in the combobox.

PLEASE HELP ME... driving me mad!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Bravo2003 see if this works for you:
Right-click on the sheet tab and select 'view code' (not sure since I use the Dutch version)
Paste this code
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    'if target has table lookup validation
    If Target.Count = 1 And Target.Validation.Type = 3 Then
        Target.Offset(1).Select
    End If
End Sub

note: this always selects the cell below. I do not know how to act differently if the tab key is pressed. Anybody?

Upvote 0
Based on the fact that you've stated that your ComboBox is autocompleting, this tells me that (a) it really is a combobox control and not a case of data validation and (b) it is an ActiveX combobox control and not a forms combobox control. This means that what you want to do is possible. If you are in design mode and you right-click the control and pick view code from the popup menu, you will automatically hop to the worksheet's code module and you'll be put inside a _Change event handler stub for the combobox control.

At the top of the code window you will see a dropdown control with the word Change in it. Click the dropdown and select KeyDown. This will create a stub for the combobox's _KeyDown event handler. Make it look like so:

Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_KeyDown(ByVal KeyCode As MSForms.ReturnInteger, ByVal Shift As Integer)    
    If KeyCode = 9 Or KeyCode = 13 Then ActiveCell.Offset(1).Select
End Sub

Nix the _Change event handler stub and edit the ActiveCell.Offset(1) and add seasonings to taste. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Note that if the workbook did not already have VBA code in it, you'll need to change the extension and save it as an .xlsm (macro-containing) workbook.

Upvote 0
Hi All!
I'm having the same issue. When I try #3, I get the error below. Any advice? Thanks!
1601731357691.png

1601731300913.png

Upvote 0
Solution: I replaced "ActiveCell.Offset(1).Select" with the actual name of the next combobox.Activate.
VBA Code:
Private Sub CB_ST_GRA_KeyDown(ByVal KeyCode As MSForms.ReturnInteger, ByVal Shift As Integer)
    If KeyCode = 9 Or KeyCode = 13 Then CB_ST_SUB.Activate
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmia0616

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back