Comparing two lists. . . simpler than I'm making it

mrexcel2008

Hello friends,

I have two lists of names.

The lists are identical except one is more updated (some data has been removed). Specifically the more recently-updated list has 135 fewer names on it.

In Column A I have the updated (shorter) list of names, in Column B the older list that is longer.

I want to remove the 135 names from the newer list. I am OK with doing this by hand.

What I'm looking for is a function that will spit out a list of the names I need to remove from the old list.

I have heard VLOOKUP is my function, but to date, despite all my reading on the internet, I have not been able to see how I could craft a vlookup that would give me the results I want.

Any advice is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Welcome to the board...So if the name in column B DOES NOT appear in Column A, it should be removed from Column B ?

Why not just paste the New list over the top of the Old list??

Upvote 0
Because the list of names I am trying to update is actually extracted from a Google doc.

I could just paste the updated list from Excel into my Google spreadsheet, but that would lead to data corruption, because the names are associated with a number of different other fields that hold important data.

And the updated list also includes some new names that don't appear in the old list at all. In other words, it has both additions and deletions, which would throw off the order in which data is recorded in other columns, and dissociate it from particular names.

Hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nokoloina

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back