Complex reference question

Bunny_British

Hi!

I would love to know if anyone knows I would go about doing this. So I have to following:
- MASTER spread sheet with columns of Scrambled number sequences.
- Individual sequence sheets that reference a columns of scrambled numbers BUT start haphazardly anywhere in the sequence.

I want to be able to lookup the column from my individual sequence sheet and the first number in the sequence from that column of the master sheet and then give me the value of the next cell down so that I can drag my formula down and autofill that sequence on the individual sequence sheet.

Have tried a VLookup with Ifs and also an Index and Match but I seem to be missing something as it's telling me I've got too many arguments.

I can provide screenshots of all of this to anyone who needs to see to understand what I'm trying to do.

PLEASE HELP!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Can you show some sample data, a few expected outcomes, and what you have tried?

Sounds to me like you need something like...
=index(master!data-range, match(cell-with-search-item, master!range-with-all-search-items,0)+1)

Upvote 0
In response to your PM to me, can you copy/paste some sample data here please?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Without showing you, it's going to be difficult to explain and I can't insert an image here.

Essentially it look like this
- Individual Sheet:

A B C D E
1 Master Column: 23
3 Sequence:
4 56
5 =VLOOKUP(E2,Master!A2:E2,INDEX(Master!A2:E2, MATCH(Individual!B4, Master!A4:D7,0)+1))

- Master Sheet:

A B C D
2 0 21 23 35
4 34 42 56 51
5 43 24 65 15
6 44 22 66 11
7 26 14 32 45

Each column on the Master has an individual sequence that needs finding first but then each Individual sheet starts at a random number of the column which is why I want to be able to lookup E1 on the master and then find B4 in that column and reference the cell below.

Is this possible?

Many thanks!

Upvote 0
sorry - the spacing went all funny when I posted that.
- Individual Sheet:

_____A___B___C___D___E
1______Master Column:__23
3__Sequence:
4________56
5________=VLOOKUP(E2,Master!A2:E2,INDEX(Master!A2:E2, MATCH(Individual!B4, Master!A4:D7,0)+1))

- Master Sheet:

_____A_____B_____C_____D
2____0____21____23____35
4____34____42____56____51
5____43____24____65____15
6____44____22____66____11
7____26____14____32____45

The issue is that the formula has to lookup b4 as the sequence may start with 66 or 32 or 65, so it's got to be able to look at the next one down in the column after having found the right master column number from e2. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

If I'm understanding correctly then maybe you could try this.

=INDEX(Master!A:D,MATCH($B$4,INDEX(Master!A:D,0,MATCH($E$2,Master!A2:D2,0)),0)+1,MATCH($E$2,Master!A2:D2,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlckr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back