Conditional formatting with Column Chart

elg0007

I have a small column chart that pulls the x value from column Q (eg. Volvo, Honda, Toyota, etc) and plots it vs a rating in column R. The vehicles in Q come from a dropdown menu of 8 choices, and I want the colors of the bars to change depending on what vehicle is chosen. The order is not set- eg, Volvo could be selected first or second or third, etc. Is there a way to set the bar colors for each vehicle WITHOUT using a macro? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
This is covered in my tutorial Conditional Formatting of Excel Charts. Here is how it could work for your situation.

I gather you have lots of other stuff in the columns to the left of your vehicle selection column Q, but I'll put the stuff there anyway.

I set up the data range in A2:I10. Column A links to the selected vehicles in column Q, that is, the formula in A3 is
Code:
=Q3
etc. Row 2 has the vehicle names, and it might be useful to put them in the same order as users encounter them in the dropdowns.

Select B3:I10, type this formula, and hold Ctrl while pressing Enter to fill the selected range with the formula:
Code:
=IF(B$2=$Q3,$R3,0)
This puts either a zero or the rating for the car listed at the top of the column into the column.

Make a chart using this added range, plotting series by columns (top left chart). Format any one of the column series so the Overlap is 100 and the Gap Width is something like 75 (top right chart).

This data is probably better rendered in a horizontal bar chart, so make a bar chart using the table, plotting by column (bottom left chart). Format the vertical axis to plot Categories in Reverse Order and so the Horizontal Axis Crosses at Maximum Category; format any one of the column series so the Overlap is 100 and the Gap Width is something like 75 (bottom right chart).

MrExcel-ConditionalColumnChart.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvine

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back