Containing Confusion!!

Playnok

Alright Guru's I have a fun one for you guys that I cannot figure out.

So I have an input table that has 52595 rows of data. One of the columns has the information below.

GPN-17-308
OC16-003-GPH
OC16-134-GPH-G
IPO-18-249
16-105-3ST-B

These are basically Job numbers. The important parts are the GPN, GPH, IPO, & 3ST. I have a second table that has 100 different 3 digit codes with a location key

1 3ST
2 IPO
3 GPN
4 GPH

Ideally, I would like to figure out a formula in the column next to GPN-17-308 that would give me the location number 3 by referencing second table?

Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
If you could be certain the the codes were unique and would not occur as some other string, then it's not too difficult but better accomplished with a UDF macro.

Upvote 0
Try:

ABCDEF
1Job NumberLocation NumberLocation keyJob substring
2GPN-17-308313ST
3OC16-003-GPH42IPO
4OC16-134-GPH-G43GPN
5IPO-18-24924GPH
616-105-3ST-B1
712-ABC-456#N/A

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet3

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B2=LOOKUP(2,1/(($F$2:$F$10<>"")*SEARCH($F$2:$F$10,A2)),$E$2:$E$10)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
BOOM! That was spot on! I have no idea how its working but it is. Thank you, sir.

Now I just have to reverse engineer the formula to see how its doing what its doing.

Upvote 0
Let me explain a few poorly documented things about LOOKUP. First, it has some array processing capability. This was included for compatibility with other spreadsheet programs. Second, it ignores errors in the lookup array. And finally, it assumes that the lookup array is in sorted order, so as soon as it finds the position in the array where the lookup value is >= one position, and < the next position, it stops. But if the lookup value is > every value in the lookup array, then the last non-error value is selected.

So let's look at how the formula works in the B3 cell.

=LOOKUP(2,1/(($F$2:$F$10<>"")*SEARCH($F$2:$F$10,A3)),$E$2:$E$10)

For the part in red, I wanted to let you have empty rows at the end of your Location Key table (F6:F10 here), so I make sure that I'm only looking at the non-blank rows. The part in red generates an internal array that looks like this: {TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE}.

Here the part in red looks for each value in the range F2:F10 within A3, and returns the position where it finds it, or a #VALUE ! error. Searching for "" in A3 returns a 1. So the resultant array of doing 9 consecutive SEARCHes on A3 is {#VALUE !;#VALUE !;#VALUE !;10;1;1;1;1;1}.

The result of multiplying 2 arrays in this manner is that the values in the same position in each array are multiplied together. Also, FALSE=0, and TRUE=1, so the resultant array is:
{#VALUE !;#VALUE !;#VALUE !;10;0;0;0;0;0}

Now we take the reciprocal of each value in the array, giving: {#VALUE !;#VALUE !;#VALUE !;0.1;#DIV/0!;#DIV/0!;#DIV/0!;#DIV/0!;#DIV/0!}. As you can see, there are #VALUE ! errors where the values in F1:F3 were not found, 0.1 where the value in F4 was found, and #DIV/0! where F6:F10 were empty.

Taking the reciprocal has 2 purposes: first, it converts the 0s from the previous step into #DIV/0! errors, which we ignore. Second, the result from SEARCH when it finds a match is the offset into the string where the match is found. So here, GPH is found in the 10th position of A3. Taking the reciprocal of a number >=1 will always be a number <=1. That's why we got the 0.1.

So after all that manipulation, we've kind of arrived at the documented usage of LOOKUP. We try to look up 2 in the lookup array from the last step. As I said before, LOOKUP ignores errors. And if it can't find the exact number, but it's greater than anything in the array, it will return the position of the last number in the array. Since we cleverly managed to make sure that every number in the array is <=1, we can search for 2 and be assured we'll never find it, so LOOKUP returns the position of 0.1 in the array, then returns the value from the result vector in the same position.

Whew! Some tricky things going on in a fairly short formula. Trace it through Evaluate Formula if you want. I don't claim credit for it, the original version has been around for a long time.

Hope this helps! :cool:

Upvote 0
In B2 enter and copy down:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(Codes,A2),JobNums)

where A2 downwards houses the relevant data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back