Count Non-Filtered Non-Blank Rows

thestranger66

Hi Everyone,

I have a tricky one here that I will do my best to explain. I have multiple columns of data where the rows are entirely filled in, partially filled in, or completely blank. My original goal was to count each row that was not entirely blank.

An example like this:

iiiiA B C
1 X X X
2 iiiiX X
4 X

Should yield a result of 3.

I managed to adopt a function from ExcelXOR.net that helped me solve this issue which you can find here:
https://excelxor.com/2015/03/30/counting-rows-where-at-least-one-condition-is-met/

My function looks like this: {=SUM(N(MMULT(N(F41:L252<>""),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(F41:L252)^0))>0))}, where my range of interest is F41:L252.

I need to modify the above function so that it responds to me filtering my range of interest. I have no idea how to incorporate this enhancement. I assume it will have something to do with the subtotal function, but have been unable to make any progress.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes a look at this issue!
-Steve

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Could you provide a data sample (~5 rows) similar to your real case - 7 columns of data (columns F:L)?
How are you filtering the data (criteria)?

M.

Upvote 0
In the example I provided below, I could filter any of the columns of data. If I were to filter the left-most column on "United States", I would want a result of 2. These are all the results of index-match formulas- the values are not hard coded. Please let me know if this satisfies what you were looking for.

United Kingdom325- Significant Difficulty34
United States1 - No difficulty23224
United States31 - No difficulty1 - No difficulty
France5- Significant Difficulty1 - No difficulty5- Significant Difficulty
United States

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Let A1:C5 equal to the data area, with row 1 housing headers, required for filtering.

In D1 enter: Record evaluation

In D2 enter and copy down:

=(COUNTIFS(A2:C2,"?*")+COUNT(A2:C2)>0)+0

Now invoke:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(D2,ROW(D2:D5)-ROW(D2),0)),--(D2:D5=1))

Upvote 0
Assuming there are headers in F40:L40 and data in F41:L252 maybe this
=SUMPRODUCT(--(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(F41:L251,ROW(F41:L252)-ROW(F41),0,1))>0),--(MMULT(--(G41:L252<>""),{1;1;1;1;1;1})>0))

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Aladin and Marcelo,

Thank you both for your quick replies. I went with Marcelo's solution since it didn't involve a helper column. It seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks,
Steve

Upvote 0
You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

oops..there is a typo in my formula.
Correction (in blue)
=SUMPRODUCT(--(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(F41:L252,ROW(F41:L252)-ROW(F41),0,1))>0),--(MMULT(--(G41:L252<>""),{1;1;1;1;1;1})>0))

M.

Upvote 0
Marcelo, I appreciate you mentioning the fix posted above.

Another thing I will mention for anyone trying to use this formula in the future is that there needs to be one less "1" than the number of columns in your range. So, if you have 15 columns in your range, the bolded aspects of the formula must be modified as shown below:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(F41:T252,ROW(F41:T252)-ROW(F41),0,1))>0),--(MMULT(--(G41:T252<>""),{1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1})>0))

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Another thing I will mention for anyone trying to use this formula in the future is that there needs to be one less "1" than the number of columns in your range. So, if you have 15 columns in your range, the bolded aspects of the formula must be modified as shown below:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(F41:T252,ROW(F41:T252)-ROW(F41),0,1))>0),--(MMULT(--(G41:T252<>""),{1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1})>0))

Yes, the vertical constant array must have, exactly, as many 1s as the number of columns of the range G41:T252

M.

Upvote 0
If the F range is not part of the counting...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(F41,ROW(F41:F252)-ROW(F41),0,1))>0,--(MMULT(--(G41:T252<>""),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(G41:T252)^0))>0)))

should be easier to run.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arm56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back