Count number of unique values that meet multiple criteria

trace_1626

I have attempted to use the sum/frequency/if formula combinations and have failed (although it could've been user error as I don't frequently use those together).

My data is as follows:

A/ B/ C
786698/ Attempt 1/ Plan A
786698/ Attempt 2/ Plan A
12345/ Attempt 1/ Plan A
12345/ Attempt 2/ Plan A

I am attempting to determine how many unique values in column A meet the unique criteria in columns B and C (e.g. Attempt 1/Plan A, Attempt 2/Plan A). The desired result would equal 2 for each of the variations.

I referenced a previous thread and saw that exact ranges were used vs. columns (e.g. A2:A14 vs A:A), could this be why the sum/frequency/if combination didn't work previously?

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Try...

A2:F5

786698 Attempt 1 Plan A7866982
786698 Attempt 2 Plan A123452
12345 Attempt 1 Plan A
12345 Attempt 2 Plan A

<tbody>
</tbody>

F2, confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, and copied down:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$5=E2,MATCH($B$2:$B$5&"#"&$C$2:$C$5,$B$2:$B$5&"#"&$C$2:$C$5,0)),ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1)>0,1))

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks, however I realize the example solution I provided led you to this particular solution. I care less about how many times the unique values appeared and more about how many unique values appear based on the scenario of Attempt 1 and Plan A; e.g. how many unique #'s in column A have both Attempt 1 and Plan A?

Upvote 0
With Domenic's layout, control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$5="Attempt 1",IF(C$2:$C$5="Plan A",$A$2:$A$5)),$A$2:$A$5),1))

Upvote 0
You are both so awesome and have saved me a TON of time! I knew it had to be something so simple as the placement of the IF statements but I have been wracking my brain!!

Suppose I need to add a 3rd variable, is it as simple as nesting another if? e.g. =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$5="Attempt 1",IF($D$2:$D$5="X",IF(C$2:$C$5="Plan A",$A$2:$A$5)),$A$2:$A$5),1)) ?

What if the 3rd variable was an OR vs. AND, how would that need to be written?

Upvote 0
You are both so awesome and have saved me a TON of time! I knew it had to be something so simple as the placement of the IF statements but I have been wracking my brain!!

Suppose I need to add a 3rd variable, is it as simple as nesting another if? e.g. =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$5="Attempt 1",IF($D$2:$D$5="X",IF(C$2:$C$5="Plan A",$A$2:$A$5)),$A$2:$A$5),1)) ?

What if the 3rd variable was an OR vs. AND, how would that need to be written?

Or how?

D2:D5 = X or D2:D5 = Y ...

Upvote 0
To add a new criteria where Column D equals "X" or "Y", try...

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$5="Attempt 1",IF(C$2:$C$5="Plan A",IF(($D$2:$D$5="X")+($D$2:$D$5="Y"),$A$2:$A$5))),$A$2:$A$5),1))

or

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$5="Attempt 1",IF(C$2:$C$5="Plan A",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($D$2:$D$5,{"X","Y"},0)),$A$2:$A$5))),$A$2:$A$5),1))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Upvote 0
The second one worked!

I cannot express how grateful I am to both of you and how sad I am I didn't ask for help sooner!! You are both so amazing and have saved me an incredible amount of time and have now allowed me to delegate a much simpler process which adds more time back to my day!

Time and life savers you are!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChipDude83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back