Count Unique - Cannot Get my Head Around it

dhsilv2

Board Regular
Hi guys,

I know this has been answered multiple times before, but I'm really struggling with understanding how a count unique will work. I somewhat (and I mean somewhat) understand how frequency works and how it can count unique for a single range. Where I get complete confused is in how to handle the more complex cases where there are a greater number of relationships and they are both numerical can text. I'm currently doing rather cumbersome sorting then writing some basic if then statements to return numbers and adding helper columns to do multiple scenarios. This is far too prone to errors not to mention it's time consuming.

So looking at the data below, I might need to do a full unique for all 4 columns and then separately I might just need unique for Area, Account, and Additional.

My goal here isn't so much to get someone to write out the formula, but to understand how it works. Thank you in advance for your help.

<colgroup><col width="81"><col span="2" width="64"><col width="84"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

LOB
AreaAccountAdditional
CommercialChicago11011
CommercialNew York20502
CommercialAtlanta52013
RetailChicago11011
RetailNew York88992
RetailAtlanta98923
InvestmentChicago11011
InvestmentNew York22202
InvestmentAtlanta55863
OtherChicago98581
OtherNew York95982
OtherAtlanta11233
CommercialChicago88551
CommercialNew York69852
CommercialAtlanta55863
RetailChicago98581
RetailNew York95982
RetailAtlanta11233
InvestmentChicago88551
InvestmentNew York69852
InvestmentAtlanta55863
OtherChicago98581
OtherNew York95982
OtherAtlanta11233
CommercialChicago88551
CommercialNew York69852
CommercialAtlanta85893
RetailChicago88891
RetailNew York88882
RetailAtlanta85933
InvestmentChicago89521
InvestmentNew York12052
InvestmentAtlanta115163
OtherChicago115161
OtherNew York115162
OtherAtlanta115163

<colgroup><col><col span="2"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
HI

https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun . Mike Girvin channel .The best tutorial for evry function in excel.

Thanks. I actually read a few things by him before posting this. The combination of multiple text and numbers is where my mind just gets blow and I'll go through the videos but I feel like that scenario is not shown elsewhere, and I'm not getting the basics well enough to combine them. This is a bit frustrating for me as using arrays and complex lookups/index/match type things all came relatively easily. Something here isn't clicking or maybe I"m just getting a bit "slower" with age.

If there's a video in there you know of I need to see for this, please let me know. I'll be viewing those of interest but he's got a lot of them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKN2GO

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back