Counting Unique Text Values that also meet a second criteria in another column - XL10

Excelerometer

Here is the scenario:

Content:
- Column B: 8 digit "numbers" but formatted as text to allow for leading zeros.
- Coulmn G: Last Names.
- The spreadsheet is constantly being updated. It currently has around 500 lines of data, but will be added to on a daily basis.

Description & Objective:
I have case numbers in column B, and jurist names in column G. The issue is that a case number can appear several times (multiple parties can share a single case number). So, I've come up with an easy way to tell how many parties have come across a given jurist (just count how many times the jurist's name appears), but now I want to count how many times a unique case "number" appears (for a grant total), and then how many times a unique case number appears along with a given jurst's name.

As mentioned above, I think I'm having trouble because the values in column B are formatted as text, but I think I need to keep it that way.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi Excelerometer,

One easy way to do this is to create another column in which you concatenate the values in columns B and G. Then you can count the number of unique case number-jurist combinations in this column. I would suggest concatenating a separator character (e.g., a hyphen) between case no. and jurist like this:

=B2 & "-" & G2

If you don't want the column containing this data visible simply hide the column.

Damon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back