Creating a Job Pick List

aeonrevolution

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to go about creating a spreadsheet to perform something for me and can't figure out the right angle to approach it from.

So. Here is what I'm trying to do. Numbers are arbitrary to explain.

I have 100 employees listed in seniority order. I have an equal number of jobs for them to pick from (for argument's sake).
Each employee picks 5 jobs they wish to do for the next week in order of what they desire.
The highest seniority employee will receive his first choice. The second employee will receive his first choice unless the employee above him picked the same job. If both picked the same job as their first pick then the second employee would receive his second pick.

And so on and so on down the line. Each job can only be run by one person.

Currently, we do this process by eyeballing it and lots of pencils crossing things off. It usually ends up in numerous errors and having to be second checked.

There must be a way to create a spreadsheet where all you have to do is punch in the employee's picks and then the worksheet will filter it all and spit out which job they will receive.

I've played around with the idea of using colors to dictate which one the employee gets and pivot tables etc, but I think my lack of knowledge in excel is bringing me here haha.

So, thought I'd come to the experts for advice.

I've n
racking my brain trying to figure out how to go about creating a spreadsheet to perform something for me and can't figure out the right angle to approach it from.

So. Here is what I'm trying to do. Numbers are arbitrary to explain.

I have 100 employees listed in seniority order. I have an equal number of jobs for them to pick from.
Each employee picks 5 jobs they wish to do for the next week in order of what they desire.
The highest seniority employee will receive his first choice. The second employee will receive his first choice unless the employee above him picked the same job. If both picked the same job as their first pick then the second employee would receive his second pick.

And so on and so on down the line.

Currently, we do this process by eyeballing it and lots of pencils crossing things off. It usually ends up in numerous errors and having to be second checked.

There must be a way to create a spreadsheet where all you have to do is punch in the employee's picks and then the worksheet will filter it all and spit out which job they will receive.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hello and welcome to MrExcel

You will need some helper columns to do this. Below is a layout where I have added some new columns to check if the job has been picked previously.

The formula in cell G2 is =B2 (the top dog always gets his first pick)
The formula in cell G3 is =INDEX(B3:F3,MATCH(0,H3:L3,0)) and copy this down
The formula in cell H3 is =IFERROR(MATCH(B3,$G$2:$G2,0),0) and copy this down and across to column L and down as far as you need.

You will get the list of who does which job in column G. You can also add a conditional format to columns B:E as follows. Select cell B2, ribbon menu option Home -> Conditional Formatting -> New Rule -> Use a formula to determine which cells to format -> enter the formula =B2=$G2 -> choose a format (I picked a green fill) -> Ok -> Ok. Copy cell B2 and paste special (formats) over the the range B2:E100.

I trust this helps
Andrew

Sheet15

ABCDEFGHIJKL
1PersonPick 1Pick 2Pick 3Pick 4Pick 5FinalCheck 1Check 2Check 3Check 4Check 5
2AJob 1 Job 1
3BJob 1Job 2 Job 210000
4CJob 3Job 4Job 10 Job 300000
5DJob 2Job 3Job 4Job 5 Job 423000
6EJob 3Job 1Job 5Job 6 Job 531000
7FJob 8Job 7Job 6Job 1Job 9Job 800010
8GJob 7Job 8Job 10Job 3Job 5Job 706035

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
G2=B2
G3=INDEX(B3:F3,MATCH(0,H3:L3,0))
H3=IFERROR(MATCH(B3,$G$2:$G2,0),0)
I3=IFERROR(MATCH(C3,$G$2:$G2,0),0)
J3=IFERROR(MATCH(D3,$G$2:$G2,0),0)
K3=IFERROR(MATCH(E3,$G$2:$G2,0),0)
L3=IFERROR(MATCH(F3,$G$2:$G2,0),0)
G4=INDEX(B4:F4,MATCH(0,H4:L4,0))
H4=IFERROR(MATCH(B4,$G$2:$G3,0),0)
I4=IFERROR(MATCH(C4,$G$2:$G3,0),0)
J4=IFERROR(MATCH(D4,$G$2:$G3,0),0)
K4=IFERROR(MATCH(E4,$G$2:$G3,0),0)
L4=IFERROR(MATCH(F4,$G$2:$G3,0),0)
G5=INDEX(B5:F5,MATCH(0,H5:L5,0))
H5=IFERROR(MATCH(B5,$G$2:$G4,0),0)
I5=IFERROR(MATCH(C5,$G$2:$G4,0),0)
J5=IFERROR(MATCH(D5,$G$2:$G4,0),0)
K5=IFERROR(MATCH(E5,$G$2:$G4,0),0)
L5=IFERROR(MATCH(F5,$G$2:$G4,0),0)
G6=INDEX(B6:F6,MATCH(0,H6:L6,0))
H6=IFERROR(MATCH(B6,$G$2:$G5,0),0)
I6=IFERROR(MATCH(C6,$G$2:$G5,0),0)
J6=IFERROR(MATCH(D6,$G$2:$G5,0),0)
K6=IFERROR(MATCH(E6,$G$2:$G5,0),0)
L6=IFERROR(MATCH(F6,$G$2:$G5,0),0)
G7=INDEX(B7:F7,MATCH(0,H7:L7,0))
H7=IFERROR(MATCH(B7,$G$2:$G6,0),0)
I7=IFERROR(MATCH(C7,$G$2:$G6,0),0)
J7=IFERROR(MATCH(D7,$G$2:$G6,0),0)
K7=IFERROR(MATCH(E7,$G$2:$G6,0),0)
L7=IFERROR(MATCH(F7,$G$2:$G6,0),0)
G8=INDEX(B8:F8,MATCH(0,H8:L8,0))
H8=IFERROR(MATCH(B8,$G$2:$G7,0),0)
I8=IFERROR(MATCH(C8,$G$2:$G7,0),0)
J8=IFERROR(MATCH(D8,$G$2:$G7,0),0)
K8=IFERROR(MATCH(E8,$G$2:$G7,0),0)
L8=IFERROR(MATCH(F8,$G$2:$G7,0),0)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Would you happen to be able to email or have a downloadable link for that?

Your link shot me to a German site which wanted me to sign up for something I believe.

Also. THANK YOU!!! I've been driving myself mad trying to do this and wish I had paid more attention in my excel related classes back in college.

Upvote 0
That link was for the tool that showed the sheet - I have no control over that.

There is nothing to download - you have the full solution and instructions on what to do per my post above.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back