Data Connections in Excel 2016 (Only want to create the connection not load the data)

CharlesBanks

I am having an issue creating data connections in Excel 2016 (365 subscription) to a MS SQL View. When I attempt to create the connection it asks to load data. I've looked through the DATA >>GETDATA>>FROM DATABASE>>FROM SQL SERVER DATABASE in the advanced options area but couldn't find anything there. Also looked in the properties, etc of the query editor area but can't find it there either.
I only want to create the connection as the data resides in a SQL environment (view). In Excel 2013 there used to be an option to "only create connection". I haven't been able to successfully create data connections since the update and online searches have been futile.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
[FONT=&quot]Go to File > Options > Data > Show legacy data import wizards, and select the legacy wizards you want to use:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
19c5993a-202d-45cd-8ca3-6f1b87eeb57b.png
Options > Data." title="Image of the Get & Transform Legacy Wizard options from File > Options > Data." ms.cmpgrp="content" ms.pgarea="Body" ms.interactiontype="500" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: none; max-width: 100%;">

Restart Excel

Do an import for the type of connection you want then delete the data.

Select Queries and connections from the Data ribbon and you will see the connection there.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for such a rapid response. I was afraid I was going to have to revert back to an older version.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back