specialk802

I am currently trying to use an OFFSET formula to declare a range for use in a Drop Down List. The formula works fine in a cell or range of cells however, when I try to use it in the Data Validation source it throws an error claiming something is wrong in the formula. After some investigation I found that it is considering the output from the match in the formula to be of the wrong data type despite showing a 2 and the data type when tested separately in a cell also resulted in a number. Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated. The formula is below;

=OFFSET(Library!E2,MATCH(Reference!E4,ComponentLibrary[Connector],0),0,,7)

The error I receive when checking the formula;

Error In Value: A value used in the formula is of the wrong data type.

It then shows the formula reaching the error in the last step of the evaluation as;

=OFFSET(E2,2,0,,7) Note the 2 is in Italics

Not sure why it is evaluating it as a different data type. Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
When you use a formula for data validation, the formula must evaluate to True of False. Unless your offset formula returns a cell that has True or False as its value, the formula doesn't meet this test. Perhaps the reference to data type points to the return value not having a Boolean data type.

Upvote 0
Joe,

Why is it then you can select a range for data validation? That is not a Boolean data type or is it? Additionally I have seen dozens of examples using very similar equations of =OFFSET(MATCH) Structure such as the one in the link and not have any issues.

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal13.html
The Boolean restriction applies if you are using Custom and entering a formula in the Data Validation dialog box. If you are using a List and entering a formula that returns a list of values from your sheet, that's a different case. Can you expand on exactly what you are doing - List or Custom? If list, is it in a column or a row?

Upvote 0
Joe,

Sorry about that, thought I pointed it out in the original post. I am using it in a List data validation. The list is coming from a row. all the examples I have seen are from columns but I don't fully see why pulling a list from a row shouldn't work.

Upvote 0
Joe,

Sorry about that, thought I pointed it out in the original post. I am using it in a List data validation. The list is coming from a row. all the examples I have seen are from columns but I don't fully see why pulling a list from a row shouldn't work.
I agree, but it's hard to know, just looking at your formula, what the issue might be.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back