Data Validation Based on Indent?

USAMax

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a list with over 1700 items for data validation. I am sure Excel could not handle this many items for data validation and even if it could, who would want to read through this list.

My client has the list indented based on hierarchy. I need everything with an indent value of one and the next data validation will look for an indent value of two.

Is this possible or will I have to reformat the data? If I have to reformat the data is there a way to automate this?

This one is a tuffy and I thank you in advance just for looking at this...

Dave

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
How's the data currently formatted? All data in one column but with some sort of indent identifier? Or is the data with indent value x in column x (ie. separate columns)?

Upvote 0
not getting what you need can you give some example ?

Upvote 0
All the data is in a single column but indented to show hierarchy.

For example:
-America
--Illinois
---DuPage County
----West Chicago
-----High Lake Sub-Division
Note: The (-) is being used to show indenting as this site does not allow spacing in-front of a line.

While displaying every Sub-Division in the world in a drop-down list would be unimaginable, displaying every Country is realistic then every State is manageable…

Is this possible to display every cell that is only indented once in a drop-down list then display every cell that is indented twice or will I have to reformat the data? If I have to reformat the data is there a way to automate this as it is updated weekly?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The data I have is sensitive so I am working up an example.

Can you tell me how to attach a file?

Upvote 0
upload a sample file any sharing site and paste link here

Upvote 0
I am sorry but I don't know of any sharing sites. Can you suggest one?

Upvote 0
i dont think so that you dont know any sharing site pls try to use google and search there or some one else may be help you

Upvote 0
I just found a site to share the file: Download Book3 xlsx, fast and secure downloading from crocko.com

This example only has two levels of indent but it should give you an idea of what I am working with.

Note that there are no cells that are not indented.

I cannot create a file with the desired results as I do not know how to create a menu drop-down list that separates cells based on indent but I will do what I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back