bobkap

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
I have numerous records that include a cell that looks something like this:

BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - 2/28/2019 (LT-FW)

The length of the data varies and is not one consistent length. However, it is always in this same format. I need to do the following:
1. Identify if there is a date in the string.
2. If there is a date in the string I need to copy just the date and write it in another cell. I can do the copying to another cell, I just cannot seem to figure out how to make sure the string has a date in it AND how to extract/copy JUST the date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks for asking. When there isn't a date in the cell it's just text. Here are samples below. If there are no dates, there are no parenthesis after. We only need the rows where there is a date following by a space and then parenthesis with text in it. (We'd prefer to delete the rows where there is not date followed by parenthesis. BUT, I think with my limited macro knowledge, I can figure that one out?) I hope this makes sense. Thanks again!

10 - HS Manuals, 1 - Manual, 3 - BLS Manuals - Picked up at class. RH
18-2926 and 18-2938
18-2954 & 19-2113
19-2015
19-2422, 19-2475, 19-2483
19-2426
19-2546
19-2690
2 Shirts
2 Shirts
3 HS Hard Copy Cards
4 Tees and 2 Logo Keys
ACLS and BLS online key and Skills 2/26
ACLS and BLS online key and skills August 28
Are you saying 2/26 and August 28 are not considered dates? In other words, in order to be a date, it must be three numbers separated by slashes, correct?

Also, you did not answer Peter's last question... (rephrased) can you have a date that is not followed by text in parentheses?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I don't have a full answer to the question, but to identify the text as a Date, couldn't you just use the VALUE() function?
=IF(AND(VALUE(B2>29221),VALUE(B2<228643)),[Function if True],"")

Upvote 0
I don't have a full answer to the question, but to identify the text as a Date, couldn't you just use the VALUE() function?
=IF(AND(VALUE(B2>29221),VALUE(B2<228643)),[Function if True],"")
Figuring out what a date is is not the problem... what Peter and I are trying to do is find a foolproof way of identifying if there is a date within the text and, if so, how to located its position within the text. See Message #8 for some examples of text containing dates along with Message #10 showing examples without a date within the text.

Upvote 0
Got it. If there is a date, it will always be with slashes in this format xx/xx/xxxx.

Thanks very much to you and Peter for all your help. Please let me know if I am not giving you the info you need.

Bob

Upvote 0
Please let me know if I am not giving you the info you need.
Peter asked it originally and I re-asked it, but you still have not answered this question...

Can you have a date that is not followed by text in parentheses?

Upvote 0
Gosh. Sorry. No. If there is a situation where there IS a date not followed by a parenthesis and some text within the parenthesis, it's a row of data I prefer to delete. We only need rows that have data with a date at the end of that cell followed by a space and then a parenthesis with text in it.

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
See if these user-defined functions work for you.
Note that my dates are in d/m/y format.

Code:
Function GetDate(s As String) As Variant
  Static RX As Object

If RX Is Nothing Then Set RX = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
  GetDate = vbNullString
  RX.Pattern = "(\d{1,2}\/){2}\d{4}(?= \()"
  If RX.Test(s) Then GetDate = CDate(RX.Execute(s)(0))
End Function

Function GetText(s As String) As String
  GetText = IIf(IsDate(GetDate(s)), Replace(Split(s, "(")(UBound(Split(s, "("))), ")", ""), "")
End Function

Excel Workbook
ABC
1DataDateText
2BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - 28/2/2019 (LT-FW)28/2/2019LT-FW
3BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - no date (LT-FW)
4BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - 12345678 (LT-FW)
5BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - 1/1/2019 (LT-FW)1/1/2019LT-FW
6BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - 1/12/2019 (LT-FW)1/12/2019LT-FW
7Red Cross First Aid with Adult CPR/AED Registration - 11/1/2019 (LT-FW)11/1/2019LT-FW
8HeartCode ACLS Parts 2&3 (Hands on Skills) Registration - 12/3/2019 (LT-MV)12/3/2019LT-MV
9HeartCode BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR Parts 2&3 (Hands on Skills) Registration - 12/3/2019 (LT-MV)12/3/2019LT-MV
10BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - 28/2/2019 dfgdgd
11BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - 28/2/2019
12BLS Instructor Renewal & Monitoring Registration - 31/12/2019 (LT-FW)31/12/2019LT-FW
Sheet1

If you want to get rid of the rows that have no dates in column B then you could try:
Code:
Sub RemoveUnwanted()
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  With Range("B1", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=""
    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Delete
    .AutoFilter
  End With
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back