Dependent drop down list for large worksheet?

aherzog

I have a large worksheet with four columns (A, B, C, D) with the titles: Item #, MFG, Model, Qty. There are about a 1000 items in total, which means each of these columns has a 1000 cells each. My goal is to create a second worksheet which is blank but has the same titles. I want a drop down list for each category which are dependent on each other, though only the first three columns will be dependent on each other. For example, the first row says this: Item # (Column A) = 12 (Row 1) ; MFG (Column B) = 43 ; Model (Column C) = Air Duster.

If I choose Item # 12, then I automatically want the MFG - 43 and the Model - Air Duster to show up in their respective columns (kind of like a conditional formatting type situation). Subsequently, if I choose MFG - 43 in Column B, then I automatically want Item # 12 and Model - Air Duster to show up in that same row under their assigned columns.

Is this possible? This is a large spreadsheet with about 1000 items per column. How long would something like this take? And, if what I am looking to accomplish isn't possible, does anyone have any other solutions which may give me similar results? Thanks.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Did you manage to understand the description I was having with the code provided earlier? I tried to tweak the code, but to no avail. But basically, the code only works for the first row, then when I go to the second row it stops working. I need it to work for all rows in the first 4 columns of the worksheet. Can you help me out with that?

Upvote 0
Just an Update !!!!!
If you show an example of the result you would expect to see, from an initial selection from column "A" , that would help.

Upvote 0
I saw the file, it is very similar to what I want. The very first VBA code you gave me also worked and gave me the results I wanted. It gave me all the information related to the data in the table in consecutive order. The only problem was that it displayed the results in rows A1-D1, not A2-D2 or A3-D3, and so on like I need. I need to create a list of items, not just one list which displays only in A1-D1. Basically, I need the same results but in multiple rows instead of just A1-D1. Does that make sense? Everything else is working properly, I just need multiple dependent lists instead of just one. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
You could send your previous file using "Box.com" (free filesharing).
Update sheet2 to show a selection from column "A" and the full expected results in column "C to D".
Or you should be able to copy the Range of data from the sheet after placing "BORDERS" around each cell to show a grid , then paste to your thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppellatePerson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back