Directory Path of selected file

spydey

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Using some VBA, I am able to select a file. I need to get the directory path of that selected file without the file name.

The answer seems to be right in front of me but I am missing something.

Here is the code I am using:

Code:
Private Sub PickFile()

Dim fd As FileDialog
Dim sPath As String

Set fd = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
    With fd
            .Title = "Select file"
            If fd.Show <> -1 Then MsgBox "No file selected! Exiting script.": End
        sPath = fd.SelectedItems(1)

End With

MsgBox sPath w/out file name

End Sub

The selected file will always be a .xlsx file.

Example: File selected: C:\Folder\Where\File\Is\Located\File.xlsx

I need: C:\Folder\Where\File\Is\Located\

Seems it should be quite simple, but the solution eludes me.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

-Spydey

P.S. I realize that "MsgBox sPath w/out file name" isn't going to give me the directory path. That is just an example of what I hope to have the msgbox output.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Try this,
Code:
    MsgBox Replace(sPath, Dir(sPath), "")
or this.
Code:
    MsgBox Left(sPath, InStrRev(sPath, "\"))

Upvote 0
Try this...

MsgBox Left(sPath, InStrRev(sPath, ""))

Note: Using End to stop your code is usually considered a bad way to do that... better is to use Exit Sub for a macro/subroutine and Exit Function for a UDF/function.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try this,
Code:
    MsgBox Replace(sPath, Dir(sPath), "")
or this.
Code:
    MsgBox Left(sPath, InStrRev(sPath, "\"))

Thank you Norie for those two options. I have tried them both and they do what I need. Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the two? Obviously one uses Replace with Dir and the other uses Left with InStrRev. What are the benefits of using one over the other?

Thanks again for your assistance, I very much appreciate it!

-Spydey

Upvote 0
Try this...

MsgBox Left(sPath, InStrRev(sPath, ""))

Note: Using End to stop your code is usually considered a bad way to do that... better is to use Exit Sub for a macro/subroutine and Exit Function for a UDF/function.

Rick, thanks for the clarification of using End vs Exit Sub. Out of curiosity, why is it considered better to use Exit Sub vs End? Would it be that Exit Sub stops the currently called "child" macro and returns to the "parent" macro, allowing it to continue, whereas End just puts a complete halt/stop on any and every Macro running? Perhaps I have those backwards .....

Thanks again Rick. Your help is greatly appreciated!

-Spydey

Upvote 0
Rick, thanks for the clarification of using End vs Exit Sub. Out of curiosity, why is it considered better to use Exit Sub vs End? Would it be that Exit Sub stops the currently called "child" macro and returns to the "parent" macro, allowing it to continue, whereas End just puts a complete halt/stop on any and every Macro running? Perhaps I have those backwards .....
The problem with End comes when you start to write more sophisticated programs that create objects... it is my understanding that using End does not allow VB to clean up after itself so these object do not get removed from memory thus stealing RAM from your system until your system is rebooted. I believe there are other "clean up" things VB does not get to do as well, but the object thing is the one that comes to mind immediately. One way around the child-chaining problem you mentioned is to make your subroutines functions instead and have the function return a testable condition back to the calling procedures as to whether it ended properly or not.

Upvote 0
The problem with End comes when you start to write more sophisticated programs that create objects... it is my understanding that using End does not allow VB to clean up after itself so these object do not get removed from memory thus stealing RAM from your system until your system is rebooted. I believe there are other "clean up" things VB does not get to do as well, but the object thing is the one that comes to mind immediately. One way around the child-chaining problem you mentioned is to make your subroutines functions instead and have the function return a testable condition back to the calling procedures as to whether it ended properly or not.

Hmmm, interesting point. Thanks Rick! I will have to look in to this more. Thanks for pointing it out.

Take care

-Spydey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvine

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back