Disable save as function issue after downloading zip file

tracycamp

I previously created a post asking about only allowing the file to be saved as a binary file type. See link below for that conversation. I found a suitable solution by saving the file as binary, and then disabling the save as option. This worked fine until today.

I've added the file to a website in a zip format (has to be zipped) so users can download. When they open, the file is read only and if they click save as, it will not save and they get the message about save as disabled. However, when they click X to close, they get the "Can't use Save As" message but the pop-up gives them the save option. When they click save, it takes them to save as where they can change the file type.

Any ideas how I can prevent this loophole? Perhaps another way to force the file to binary?

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1013513-only-allow-binary-format.html#post4866291

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Are the users extracting the file from the zip before opening it?
Is the file still locked up in the security procedures of the file having been downloaded?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I understand your questions correctly, but I will try to answer.

When they click on the download file button, the folder is saved. They then open the folder and then the file to view the file. The code works in that in this view, if they try to click Save As, they get the message that save as is disabled and it won't let them save as. However, when they close the file, they again get the message that save as is disabled, but they then get a request to save the file. When they click save, it takes them to save as and they can save as and change the file type. Everything else seems to work as intended.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back