Display 1 or 0 based on multiple conditions. If one is accomplished, stop the second one from running.

Merenguito

Hey guys

I have another problem if you could please help me, thank you. I have this setup:
6rc50XNaS3acDma9SL012A.png

I want to display 1 in column M for the first item that has the condition Yes, column K is a drop down with Yes and No. I don't know how to stop the second formula to run if the first one is accomplished. I use this now:
=IF((AND(K1="Yes", K2="No")), "1", "0") and =IF((AND(K2="Yes", K1="No")), "1", "0")

When I pick Yes, M turns into 1, but if I pick Yes for the second one, both turn into 0 again. I'd like to keep the first 1, and all other duplicate items that get Yes to remain 0. Is it possible without scripts?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi,

Don't know what you mean by
Solved with circular references

Anyway, are you saying you want the answer as 1 (One), if Either K1 or K2 is "Yes" ?

Upvote 0
A circular reference in an Excel 2013 formula is one that depends, directly or indirectly, on its own value. The most common type of circular reference occurs when you mistakenly refer in the formula to the cell in which you're building the formula itself. - https://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/excel/circular-references-in-excel-2013/

Iterative calculations - Options - Formulas - Right side

I solved my problems with something like this:
=IF(C5="No",0,IF(M6="1", "0", IF(C5="Yes", "1", "0")))
=IF(C6="No",0,IF(M5="1", "0", IF(C6="Yes", "1", "0")))

The conditions are interdependent. If I have multiple duplicates, I use another step in the middle, an OR like OR(M5=1, M12=1, M15=1). What I did not know and made me loose 1 hour is that in OR you don't use " because the conditions will not work.
Multiple duplicates: =IF(C17="No",0,IF(OR(M20=1, M23=1, M25=1, M27=1), "0", IF(C17="Yes", "1", "0")))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know what "circular reference" is.

What I don't understand is what you're trying to accomplish.

So the data is in C column and your result cell is in corresponding M column?

If you can explain what's in what cell, and what is M supposed to do.

And why are you using quote marks around 1 and 0 ??

Edit: 1 is Not the same as "1", if you are to compare the two values, they Won't match.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used it without quotes and it didn't work, that's why I use ". Thank you, but I already said in my second post that I solved my problem. No need to further develop this :) Cheers, have a happy new year!

Upvote 0
It didn't work without quotes is because your formula result gave it Quotes.

=IF(C5="No",0,IF(M6="1", "0", IF(C5="Yes", "1", "0")))
=IF(C6="No",0,IF(M5="1", "0", IF(C6="Yes", "1", "0")))

Then, you were trying to compare 1 to "1"
and 0 to "0"

I think this will do what you need, try to stay Away from circular referencing if at all possible:

Book1
CM
5Yes1
6Yes0
Sheet438
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M5=IF(C5="Yes",1,0)
M6=IF(AND(C6="Yes",M5=0),1,0)

Play around with the Yes and No in C5 and C6.

Upvote 0
And, if you have a long list of Yes and No in column C, and want column M to show a 1 (one) Only for the first occurrence of Yes, then use these:

Book1
CM
5No0
6No0
7Yes1
8Yes0
9No0
Sheet438
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M5=IF(C5="Yes",1,0)
M6=IF(AND(C6="Yes",COUNTIF(M$5:M5,1)=0),1,0)

M6 formula copied down as far as you need.

Upvote 0
Hey guys

I have another problem if you could please help me, thank you. I have this setup:
6rc50XNaS3acDma9SL012A.png

I want to display 1 in column M for the first item that has the condition Yes, column K is a drop down with Yes and No. I don't know how to stop the second formula to run if the first one is accomplished. I use this now:
=IF((AND(K1="Yes", K2="No")), "1", "0") and =IF((AND(K2="Yes", K1="No")), "1", "0")
If I understand your question correctly, this formula (without circular references) should do what you want...

=IF(AND(K1="Yes",COUNTIF(K$1:K1,"Yes")=1),1,0)

Upvote 0
And, you can do away with the IF altogether by using "double unary", same formulas as my Post # 8:

Book1
CM
5No0
6No0
7Yes1
8Yes0
9No0
Sheet438
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M5=--(C5="Yes")
M6=--(AND(C6="Yes",COUNTIF(N$5:N5,1)=0))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back