Dropdown list from other book

Jewelzzz00

Can u have 10 shared workbooks using a single source workbook, for a dropdown menu;

but i need to have like 5 books open at a time from different computers over a network. Plus each one needs to have a functioning dropdown option.

Can this be done?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Welcome to the Board!

You should be able to do it if the source list is linked in each one. You won't be able to do it without a physical list in each wb without vba, and over a network it probably won't be worth the lag.

And why do you have to have 5-10 shared workbooks open at the same time?

Upvote 0
HI,

i have different clients i represent. each with there own workbook, each client a different specialty but same field.

in each book (all the same layout) i input, bills and payments rcvd, etc and also generate different correspondence, depending on the items billed, and status.

i address all my correspondence to different insurance company's. (source book). the ins company are all the same for each client. i would like a central excel book for ins companies, located on the same server and folder as the other books. and then have a drop down in each client book.

we have about 30 different clients, each client has 1000's of bills, and 20 different correspondence letters.

we share all these workbooks, on a network server.

1 person can open a book at a time for editing (others can read-only) per client and work in it.

we have someone entering new bills, or another person entering payments, in another book. or following up, in a third book, printing a correspondence in a fourth,etc

ex.

susie is working on client ABC book and wants to send a correspondence to the ins co. , she opens ABC's book and the source book for insurance co. address. and makes her letters.
mean while
mary wants work on client EFG book and wants to send a correspondence to the ins co, she opens EFG's book and the source book and makes her letters.

one will have the original source open , the other will open a read-only source book.

will this cause errors in excel?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rehanahmadawan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back