Duplicates between 2 rows

jmaresca

Hello everyone! I have something I am working on but its driving me a little bats at the moment and I am hoping someone can help.

I have a spreadsheet with two columns. Each column has a list of keywords in it. I am trying to compare column 2 against column 1 and place the unique keywords into Column 3. When I try doing this my way excel is not comparing exact keywords.

For example, if I have a keyword phrase in column 1 that is "unique bedroom layout ideas" and in column 2 there is a keyword phrase "bedroom layout ideas" excel seems to be calling these duplicates. Obviously the later part of the phrase is duplicated however these are in fact unique versions and I would like to place all of the uniques in that 3rd column based on what I just mentioned.

Any help would be greater appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

gallen

Hello and welcome,

How are you performing the task? Formulaic or VBA? Either way can you post what you have?

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Code:
Sub jmaresca()
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long

Ary = Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Value2
   With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For i = 2 To UBound(Ary)
         .Item(Ary(i, 1)) = Empty
         .Item(Ary(i, 2)) = Empty
      Next i
      Range("C2").Resize(.Count).Value = Application.Transpose(.Keys)
   End With
End Sub

gallen

Sadly my work's firewall won't allow me to view files. I'm confused how Conditional formatting can be used to to compare 2 columns and add unique to a 3rd. That is way beyond my skills.

With VBA I could have done in a few lines of code but using Conditional formatting will be a job for other experts. I'm sure they can help.

jmaresca

Sadly my work's firewall won't allow me to view files. I'm confused how Conditional formatting can be used to to compare 2 columns and add unique to a 3rd. That is way beyond my skills.

With VBA I could have done in a few lines of code but using Conditional formatting will be a job for other experts. I'm sure they can help.

It doesnt need to work by Conditional Formatting. This is just one of 2 ways I tried. Whatever gets the job done I think is best.

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Did you see my suggestion in post#4?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
champchamp

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...