Dynamic calculation sheet copying colums with variable length

Ealglez

Dear MrExcel.com,

I am completely new in the malarkey of writing macros in excel so I am a bit lost in my new task.
I would like to create a calculation file which implies the following:
a) creates different worksheets (w/s) for each case.
b) copy data from the data dump worksheet to each case worksheet.
I would like to start from b) as a) seems much more difficult to me, so let's assume I have only one case: Case A.

I have downloaded time vs. variable "AAA" data in w/s "Data" in the range A6:B654.
I would like to copy these data in w/s "Case A" starting in row 6 (first data point in A6:B6).

I would like to create a macro (from scratch, please!) so that I can copy all the data from case A in w/s "Case A" but that allows me to do exactly the same when the data is of a different length, i.e. if I have a Case A in w/s "Data" which is in the range A6:B800 instead of A6:B654 (so in w/w "Case A") I will have cells A6:B800 populated.

I have tried to find an answer in the Forums, but as I am completely new on this, I am a bit confused as they look as parts of the macro instead of the whole macro it self. I have tried to record de macro and modified it afterwards but it is not working either.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks very much,
Ealglz.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Sheets("Data").Select
Range("A6:b" & lastrow).Copy
Sheets("Case A").Select
Range("a6").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, SteveO59L.

Have tried to use the coding above but it keeps given me an error on row 2. I think the system does understand when in a range the second boundary has not a number ("A6:B"(. Is there any other way around I can try?

Many thanks,
Ealglez

Upvote 0
apologies, I forgot to define the variable lastrow

Dim lastrow As Long
Sheets("Data").Select
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row
Range("A6:b" & lastrow).Copy
Sheets("Case A").Select
Range("a6").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

Upvote 0
Hi SteveO59L,

It worked!!! Thank you very much!

Do you think it is possible to do the following using macros?:
a) I have a list of cases in w/s "Summary" fro A4 (the length can varied as well). Say I have 4 cases as an example.
b) I can create as many different w/s as in the list so w/s from Case A to Case D in the example.
c) For each of the w/s I want to do the same as I did for Case A (copy data from "Data" w/s) but the set of data is in different location on "Data" w/s: Case A data in A6:B100. Case B in C6:D100. Case C in E6:F100. Case D in G6:H100. Again the length of the columns is variable. Can a macro do all this automatically taking into account that the number of cases may vary affecting both w/s and copy and paste options?
d) In each worksheet there are other calculation based in that time vs. AAA variable set of data. For example a MAX calculation. Is there a way to set this formula so that it adapts to the different length the set of data will have for each particular case?
I understand that this may be far to complicated though!
Thank a lot in advance!
Ealglez

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jominadeo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back