dynamically sorting lists

jsk

Hi,
I produce a radio show of foreign-language music. I have a huge table (currently 6000 rows) of all songs I've played, organized alphabetically by country. I'd like to create a list of all unique countries, with sublists of every time a band was played. Every list will be a different length and they will grow every week with each additional program

I've tried a couple of different ways, have already filtered out all unique countries/regions (382 total) and I can use vlookup to display the band associated with the country but I can't figure out how to display each band once per time I've played it. I mean to say that I've played bands more than once but I'd like them to appear once per play so that I can later link them to the playlists in which they originally appear.

I hope this makes sense to someone, I'm using Mac Excel 2008, version 12.2.6

thanks in advance!
Jesse

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I'm not at all familiar with the Mac version of Excel, but I would assume it still has the functionality to do pivot tables. That may be something to look into.

Pivot tables are very powerful and flexible tools in Excel and it may work well for your situation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back