Equal Formula for Multiple Blank Cells

dmill8023

Board Regular
Hello all, I want to come up with an = formula that references a second tab. For this example I'll have Tab 1 and Tab 2.

On Tab 1, starting @ A1 I want to do ='Tab 2'!A1 and copy that down. On tab 1 I need copy my = formula down, I can't lok A1 because the unique value below DEF where just like ABC I need those blank cells to be populated with DEF.

ABC This is A1
This is A2 and needs to equal A1
This is A3 and needs to equla A1
ABC This is A4
DEF This is A5
This is A6 and needs to equal A5
This is A7 and needs to equal A5
HIJ This is A8

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am having issues figuring out the way to make this work. I have tried a =if( referencing if the cell is blank take the value above...however when I have 2 consecutive blank rows the formula doesn't work...does this make sense?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Something like this:

In B1:
Code:
=A1
In B2:
Code:
=IF(A2="",B1,A2)
Copy B2 down...

Upvote 0
thank you for the reply - i am not looking to add a formula to a column because i'm trying to create an automated tool that my colleague doesn't have to do any additional manual work. Currently Tab 1 is pulling in data to appropriate columns from data that is pasted into Tab 2. This is being done with a simple = formula between the two tabs.

I then have a macro created to autofill based on the number of rows needed. My issue is that I may have 1 order # with 3 different commodities however my order # for those repeat rows isn't populated. Same with other important Origin, Dest information. That is why my = isn't working because there is nothing for me to tie in.

Upvote 0
Can you post a small example of what your data looks like and what you want it to look like?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back