Exam grade A*

RuthB

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there anyway to make Excel interpret 'A*' as 'an A followed by a star' rather than 'any string beginning with an A'?
Thanks in advance. I apologise if this has already been asked. I've searched but didn't find anything.

If you are wondering why I want to know...
I am a teacher in the UK. Our students enter some exams for which the available grades are A*, A, B, C etc, while others have exams for which the grades are numbers. I design Excel workbooks of results, which other teachers can then use for their classes. I would use COUNTIF to count the number of students with each grade. The problem is that Excel thinks that 'A*' means 'any string beginning with A' and it counts not only the 'A*'s but the 'A's as well. Until now the students have only had exams with letter grades, so I've been working round that by making the count of the top grade count 'A*'s (so it counts 'A*'s and 'A's) and then subtract the count of the next grade down so it removes the 'A's. But now exams with number grades have been introduced, and if the sheet is used for some other exam where the top grade is 9 and the next grade down is 8 then it counts the 9s and subtracts the 8s, which is not what's required at all. I could work round it again by making it count the top grade, and then if the top grade has a length of more than one character subtract off the count of the next grade down, but I am wondering if there is a more elegant way of doing it. Also, I'm worried that some teacher will accidentally enter the top grade onto the sheet as 9 with a space after it, and then that will have a length of more than one character...

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
To count A* specifically, you need to escape the * by prefixing it with a tilde:

=COUNTIF(A:A,"A~*")

for example.

Upvote 0
THANK YOU!

I knew there'd be some simple and elegant way of doing it if I could only find out how!

Upvote 0
Glad to help. :)

By the way, if you have A* in a cell already and want to refer to that cell as the criterion, you can use SUBSTITUTE like this:

=COUNTIF(A:A,SUBSTITUTE(B1,"*","~*"))

where B1 contains A*

Upvote 0
You read my mind. I was just typing a question about how to do it when the criterion is in a cell when I saw you'd already added that.
Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slzaleski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back