Excel 2007 Conversion Problem

amberfreed

Hello,

I have had a massive excel spreadsheet (22.6 MB) with lots of macros, etc for a couple years now. Although I have Microsoft Excel 2007, I have been saving the file in Excel 97-2003 so people in my office that havent upgraded can access the file.

Everyone in my office converted to the new excel today so I saved the file as a Macro-Enabled Worksheet. Now when we try to open it, we get an error message that says, "Excel found unreadable content in <MY document>. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the sourse of this workbook, click yes. The repairs made to the workbook include:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- <recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<logFileName>error032680_01.xml</< font>logFileName>

<summary>Errors were detected in file 'S:\Tessera Fund 09-07-31d.xlsm'</< font>summary>

- <removedRecords summary="Following is a list of removed records:">
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Sorting from /xl/worksheets/sheet5.xml part</< font>removedRecord>

<removedRecord>Removed Records: Sorting from /xl/worksheets/sheet6.xml part</< font>removedRecord>

<removedRecord>Removed Records: Sorting from /xl/worksheets/sheet7.xml part</< font>removedRecord>

</< font>removedRecords>

</< font>recoveryLog>

Can anyone translate this jargon for me? I am frightened and confused. Will my spreadsheet crash eventually?

Thank you!!!!!:):)

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Not a jargon translation but here is a cheat we are doing in my office: save the file as 97-2003. Will still work in 2007 without the headaches of the new format. And yes, you will have to convert to 2007's XML eventually but this will give you some time to accomplish this.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, no. Even though we have MS2007, we won't be using the XML file format till maybe 2011 to allow more of our slower customers to jump on the bandwagon with us.

Upvote 0
I had this issue and found it was caused by doing a sort using the same column at more than one sort level. (Why did I do that you ask? Lazy macro coding). The sort worked OK, the spreadsheet saved OK but I got that error message on reopening. When I changed the sort to something more sensible the problem went away.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back