Excel 2010 ActiveX/Form Contols disappear

dmadden51

I have a simple sheet with three ActiveX controls (one for each report) and a pivot table. The Pivot tables shows a list of parts associated with a charge unit. The user selects the charge unit in the pivot table then clicks the ActiveX control for the report they want.

Sometimes the user will change to a different charge unit if the part number was not showing. Occassionally, the ActiveX buttons (I also duplicated them with From buttons) disappear completely. The pivot chart updates just fine but the Entire Workbook becomes unresponsive!!

Oddly enough, I can Alt-F11 to the editor. I can go to Workbook_Open and press F8. Immediately the Entire Workbook wakes up, becomes reponsive, and the missing ActiveX/Form controls come back!!

Any clue??

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
There seem to be a lot of issues like this being reported, especially where the workbook originated in an earlier version of Excel. It has been brought to the Excel product team's attention.

Upvote 0
This is an Excel 2000 sheet that was converted to Excel 2010 .xlsm file. The problem is not consistent but does occur often. Its as if it is following some section of code and not returning from the Pivot Tables "change" event. Such as the painting of the pivot table is not returning control to the GUI??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Here it is october 2011 and it seems this has not been addressed by MS.

Even in new workbooks, controls 'disappear' when hidden. This is causing us major issues. Has any solution been found by users since Microsoft seems to have just ignored the issue.?????

Upvote 0
I have just found out about this issue myself while making a 'from scratch' workbook for my business (i bet lots of you know the feeling when starting one of those). I had previously worked with 2007 and made plenty of versions updates for workbooks from 2003 and so on ...

[silly stuff]
i had to redo about 300 activex controls after 10 hours when i saved and open my file ... when i have limitations with alternatives and can't get around them, i expect the MS corp to come to the table and deliver! if it was doable in 2007, why in heaven (for lack of an acceptable word) should it not be available in 2010 ... just as i would expect conditional formatting to have moved over to shapes so i could work around the checkbox/hiding/problem thing by using a button that displayed a response when it was doing whatever it was doing!!
[/silly stuff]

Upvote 0
This fix worked for us. They will email you a download link via email. We had extract and apply the fix to each local machine and our NT group had to apply it to the citrix servers.:)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2503335<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
SYMPTOMS <o:p></o:p>
Consider the following scenario: You add an ActiveX control to a Microsoft Excel...<o:p></o:p>
Consider the following scenario: <o:p></o:p>
· You add an ActiveX control to a Microsoft Excel 2010 workbook.<o:p></o:p>
· You hide the columns that include the ActiveX control.<o:p></o:p>
· You save the workbook, and then you close it.<o:p></o:p>
· You reopen the workbook, and then you unhide the columns that include the ActiveX control.<o:p></o:p>
In this scenario, the ActiveX control does not reappear in the unhidden columns as expected. <o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 7.5pt; HEIGHT: 7.5pt" id=Picture_x0020_1 alt="Description: http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/public/en-us/uparrow.gif" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:href="cid:image001.gif@01CCD505.2A9FF2E0" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\enelke\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Back to the top<o:p></o:p>
RESOLUTION <o:p></o:p>
To resolve this issue, apply the following update: 2475876 (http://support.micr...<o:p></o:p>
To resolve this issue, apply the following update: <o:p></o:p>
2475876 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475876/ ) Description of the Excel 2010 hotfix package (excel-x-none.msp): February 22, 2011 <o:p></o:p>

Note
This hotfix package only prevents this issue from occurring in files that are created after the hotfix is applied. Therefore, any files that have this issue should be rebuilt after the hotfix is applied. <o:p></o:p>
Registry key information<o:p></o:p>
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: <o:p></o:p>
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows <o:p></o:p>
After you install the hotfix package, follow these steps to enable the hotfix: <o:p></o:p>
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK. <o:p></o:p>
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: <o:p></o:p>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options<o:p></o:p>
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Dword Value.<o:p></o:p>
4. Type LegacyAnchorResize, and then press ENTER.<o:p></o:p>
5. In the details pane, right-click LegacyAnchorResize, and then click Modify.<o:p></o:p>
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK. <o:p></o:p>
7. Exit Registry Editor.<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
Is there a fix for this problem that does not involve rebuilding files and modifying the registry? I've tried the above solution (and rebuilt a form from scratch, which was no small task) to no avail. Thanks - CA

Upvote 0
Unfortunately none I know of. I have to install the following two 'patches' on all new users machines and edit the registry since not everyone uses citrix where the fixes are deployed at logon.

Package:
-----------------------------------------------------------
KB Article Number(s): 2596483, 2596494, 2596526, 2596575
Language: All (Global)
Platform: i386
Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Micro....0000.6112.5000/free/439868_intl_i386_zip.exe)

Package:
KB Article Number(s): 2598144, 2598259, 2598260, 2598310
Language: All (Global)
Platform: i386
Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Micro....0000.6120.5000/free/447182_intl_i386_zip.exe)

NOTE Make sure that you include all the text between "(" and ")" when you visit this hotfix location.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back