Excel 2010 Windows 7 - create new list from different data sets

CYDSRQ

Thank you for a great resource! I have combed through the posts on combining data, but could not find one that addressed this issue:

Data set 1 includes fname, lname, and 10 other fields;
Fname
Lname
Data1
Data2
Data3
Data4
Data5
Jane
Doe
F
W
xxx
xx
Sam
Roberts
F
W
xx
xx
John
Jones
M
B
x
x

<tbody>
</tbody>

Data set 2 has fname, lname, and 4 different fields (not in the other set).
Fname
Lname
DOB
EventsAttended
Active
Jane
Doe
M
W
Xx/xx/xxxx
xx
Y

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to combine the lists so all data from Jane Doe appears in one record.
Fname
Lname
Data1
Data2
Data3
Data4
Data5
DOB
Active
Jane
Doe
F
W
xxx
xx
Xx/xx/xxxx
Y
John
Jones
M
B
xx
x
x
x
x
Xx/xx/xxx
N

<tbody>
</tbody>

NOTE: Some names might not be on both lists

I am not that proficient with Excel, but can pick up quickly. Thank you for your help! Karen

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
hello! Can you tell me how to import a view of the spreadsheet like you did earlier? I am receiving "N/A" and I believe I have followed your instructions... if I could import a view of the spreadsheet, perhaps you could find my error? Thank you! Karen

Upvote 0
hello! Can you tell me how to import a view of the spreadsheet like you did earlier? I am receiving "N/A" and I believe I have followed your instructions... if I could import a view of the spreadsheet, perhaps you could find my error? Thank you! Karen
Is that using my link in post #11? If so,you go to www.box.com, register and then upload your spreadsheet. Its free if your not bothered about adverts, and you dont need a lot of storage. Once youve uploaded you take the share option and it will give you the code to paste in your message.

If your still having problems check your PMs in a few minutes

Hercules

Upvote 0
I could not open the box.com link - it is blocked by the security software... will wait for PM Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello Karen
I think Ive found the problem. The matching process works by comparing the first and last mames ifor equality between the two data sets. It can't match anything
because one set is upper case and the other lower. If you look at my example you will see that where I have altered the bottom table to lower case, its finding a match
except where the bottom table has different names. Because the same tests are used for every cell, the problem prevents any matching. You can have all upper or all
lower, but not one of each!

:)

Excel 2010
ABCDEFG
2FNameLnameStudentNumber#ofEventsActiveZipCode
3MariangelAcosta#N/A1Yes34240
4SusanAcosta#N/A3Yes34240
5BrynnAdamsN3304949Yes34287
6AkiyahAgel#N/A4Yes34234
7JonathanAguilar#N/A1No
8LaurdesAguilera#N/A1Yes34286
9HannahAilshire#N/A1Yes34287
10DustinAlexander#N/A2Yes34287
11JasmineAlexander#N/A2Yes34239
12SymphonyAlexanderN3421771Yes34288
13MosleyAlexandria#N/A5Yes34232
14GiuliaAlledi#N/A2No34229
15AntoniaAllenN37140610Yes34243
16CourtaviaAllenN3538427Yes34234
22FNameLnameStudentNumber#ofEventsActiveZipCode
23TY ABBOTT N401388
24BrynnAdamsN330494
25ALEXIS ALBERO N366056
26ANTHONY ALBRECHT N394986
27SymphonyAlexanderN342177
28AntoniaAllenN371406
29CourtaviaAllenN353842
30DEVON ALLEN N094146
31JEREN ALMEIDA N181820
32MARTIN ALTMANN N120767
NameNumber

Upvote 0
Such an obvious problem! Thanks for finding it - I will work on the rest and see if I can move ahead with your formula. One more question - the "0" at the end of the formula - is that to indicate to return value to current cell?

Upvote 0
Ok, I tried to replicate that in my file, but it returns "N/A" - I replaced text so they matched to all Capitals, and then to Sentence Case and it did not change the results..... can I use the handle to copy the formula to all of the cells? Or do I need to enter in each lookup cell?

Upvote 0
Ok, I tried to replicate that in my file, but it returns "N/A" - I replaced text so they matched to all Capitals, and then to Sentence Case and it did not change the results..... can I use the handle to copy the formula to all of the cells? Or do I need to enter in each lookup cell?

Not sure what you mean by the handle ??
1 To check its not the names, just ensure that where is the same name in both sets that they are identical (FName and LName.)
2. Pick a cell with a formula that says N/A, click on it, and look at the formula bar to see the formula. Write down this formula and type it into your reply to me and tell me which cell its in. make sure you type it correctly.
3. Did you try putting the corrections into the examples you sent me and did that work?
4 I think I will need to see some of your actual file

Last edited:
Upvote 0
after I changed the font so that all names matched (sentence case), I put the formula from your earlier post in cell C3 =INDEX(C$23:C$32,MATCH($A3&$B3,$A$23:$A$32&$B$23:$B$32,0)) . . . Next, I put cursor in the formula bar and hit "Ctrl" "Shift" and "enter" to get the brackets {} to appear around the formula. The "handle" is the small black box that appear in the lower right hand corner of the cell - when you click and drag down or across, it will copy the contents (or the formula) into the adjacent cells. I used this method to copy into the cells between C4 and C16. Here is the formula as it appears in cell C5 =INDEX(C$23:C$32,MATCH($A5&$B5,$A$23:$A$32&$B$23:$B$32,0)) That returned the "N/a". I am using the same set of data that I sent to you to see if I could replicate before trying with the original file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bastbog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back