Excel 2010 Windows 7 - create new list from different data sets

CYDSRQ

Thank you for a great resource! I have combed through the posts on combining data, but could not find one that addressed this issue:

Data set 1 includes fname, lname, and 10 other fields;
Fname
Lname
Data1
Data2
Data3
Data4
Data5
Jane
Doe
F
W
xxx
xx
Sam
Roberts
F
W
xx
xx
John
Jones
M
B
x
x

<tbody>
</tbody>

Data set 2 has fname, lname, and 4 different fields (not in the other set).
Fname
Lname
DOB
EventsAttended
Active
Jane
Doe
M
W
Xx/xx/xxxx
xx
Y

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to combine the lists so all data from Jane Doe appears in one record.
Fname
Lname
Data1
Data2
Data3
Data4
Data5
DOB
Active
Jane
Doe
F
W
xxx
xx
Xx/xx/xxxx
Y
John
Jones
M
B
xx
x
x
x
x
Xx/xx/xxx
N

<tbody>
</tbody>

NOTE: Some names might not be on both lists

I am not that proficient with Excel, but can pick up quickly. Thank you for your help! Karen

I think that we are getting somewhere. :)
The problem is that I tried to give you a formula that would adjust itsself when copy/pasted. But.... The first time that you place it in the sheet it has to be adjusted, because obviously I don't know which will be the first cell.
Once the first cell is working you can the copy and paste to other locations. I didn't use the handle approach because I only put formulae in the empty places that were missing info.
OK can I just confirm - the sheet your working on is from post #11 with the sheets 1A and 1B ? If so get Sheet 1A ready and I will give instructions on what to do. I can see that the one you have in C3 isn't right so that will be the problem.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hi
Heres some instructions to try again from scratch on my example:

Assuming you are sitting with Sheet1A in front of you, copy the formula below into Cell C3. (the "gender" column)
It should give you a #VALUE! error.

=INDEX(C$18:C$27,MATCH($A3&$B3,$A$18:$A$27&$B$18:$B$27,0))

Click in the formula bar, and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If alls well the error will disappear and be replaced with an F from C19.
In the formula bar you should now have the curly brackets as well.
If you look closely at the formula you can see its INDEXING C18:C27 (Gender list) ;
Its matching one combined name A3&B3 with the combined name block A18:B27 set 2
Whichever row is the same as A3&B3, it then returns that row in Col C (C19 = "F" )

With one formula working, save the spreadsheet
Next copy from C3 to C11 (no need for C+S+E) - If thats OK paste into the other yellow cells.

Another tip:
Click the Formula Ribbon and then click C3. On the Ribbon Click Evaluate Formula.
A window opens to take you through what excel does with a formula. Click Evaluate to see the steps.

Let me know how you get on. If you can't get that first cell sorted, wait for me, Ill be online tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello - thank you so much for your patience with this. I copied your data from post #8 - the formula worked fine. I then opened the sample data I had sent to you - it did not work, returning "N/A". The tip on the "evaluate formula" was interesting - it helped me see what the data was.... I checked to see that the cell references matched the data set - still N/A :(

Upvote 0
Thats good news then. Now lets turn to the NameNumber example the one wirh 32 rows. get that on the screen and look at Cell C5 (If unaltered from mine it will say #N/A.
The formula in C5 should be: {=INDEX(C$23:C$32,MATCH($A5&$B5,$A$23:$A$32&$B$23:$B$32,0))}
The Names in A5 and B5 should be Brynn Adams.
If unaltered, A24 and B24 should be BRYNN ADAMS.

If thats all correct,
Copy Cells A5:B5, Click A24 and paste.

Upvote 0
That worked!!! Let me copy all names from A3:B3 to A16:B16 and see if that changes anything

Upvote 0
Ok - so that worked. I went back to the document that I copied NameNumber page from.... it did not work until I copied the name Brynn Adams from A5:B5 and pasted to the lower set of data.... ???? Then it returned StudentNumber....???

Upvote 0
So what that means is that although you tried to correct the upper/lower case problem ther was still a difference. The slightest thing will mmake it fail.
When will your main data be ready ? If you can give me the cell ranges I can adjust the formula to suit and make it a bit easier for you.

If you have some examples where both are lower case and you still get N/A I'd like to see them and Ill try to figure it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
owais87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back