Excel 2010 Windows 7 - create new list from different data sets

CYDSRQ

Thank you for a great resource! I have combed through the posts on combining data, but could not find one that addressed this issue:

Data set 1 includes fname, lname, and 10 other fields;
Fname
Lname
Data1
Data2
Data3
Data4
Data5
Jane
Doe
F
W
xxx
xx
Sam
Roberts
F
W
xx
xx
John
Jones
M
B
x
x

<tbody>
</tbody>

Data set 2 has fname, lname, and 4 different fields (not in the other set).
Fname
Lname
DOB
EventsAttended
Active
Jane
Doe
M
W
Xx/xx/xxxx
xx
Y

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to combine the lists so all data from Jane Doe appears in one record.
Fname
Lname
Data1
Data2
Data3
Data4
Data5
DOB
Active
Jane
Doe
F
W
xxx
xx
Xx/xx/xxxx
Y
John
Jones
M
B
xx
x
x
x
x
Xx/xx/xxx
N

<tbody>
</tbody>

NOTE: Some names might not be on both lists

I am not that proficient with Excel, but can pick up quickly. Thank you for your help! Karen

Hercules - I really appreciate your help on this, but I cannot send the entire file - it is confidential data. It seems your assessment is correct - that there is a formatting issue - can text be formatted? When I used the error checking features, it showed that it pulled the right data (names from the lower set of data) but would not return the final piece (the StudentNumber) I appreciate any other ideas you have..... Thanks again! Karen

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I sussed it out from you example!!!!!!!!
In the bottom table of NameNumber the names in A and B are formatted differently from the top table
in the bottom the cells are a fixed number of characters with spaces at the end (A= 12Chrs, B =17 chrs)
in the top theres no spaces so the computer is trying to match "ANTONIA^^^^^ALLEN^^^^^^^^^^^^" With: "ANTONIAALLEN"

Upvote 0
exactly!!!! I am just working to reformat in Word then bring back --- will report back!!! Thank you so much!!!

Upvote 0
There is no need to send the whole file, and I think we have explained it now. To see the problem:

Paste this into cell G28 and then copy to G15: =A28&B28 Double click at the top of col G to resize the column width.
It should be possible to modify the formula to adjust for it.

Upvote 0
YES!!! That worked!!!! now, for the real data..... I will keep you posted as I begin working on the entire spreadsheet. I am so thankful for your willingness to work on this!! Many thanks - I'll keep you posted on the progress, and I hope you don't mind if I call on you with other questions..... ??? Thanks - Karen

Upvote 0
Karen
Ive adjusted the formula so that it will work with the longer names and upper case. Copy this into C3 0f NameNumber, click in the formula and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
Then copy it down column C top table and that should work. However, it isn't foolproof if people devise new ideas with text!
We will still need to adjust it for whichever is the first cell on your main data, and if you need my help with that, Ill need to know the cell addresses of your tables.

Copy this into C3 and down: =INDEX(C$23:C$32,MATCH($A3&" "&$B3,TRIM(PROPER($A$23:$A$32&$B$23:$B$32)),0))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
YES!!! That worked!!!! now, for the real data..... I will keep you posted as I begin working on the entire spreadsheet. I am so thankful for your willingness to work on this!! Many thanks - I'll keep you posted on the progress, and I hope you don't mind if I call on you with other questions..... ??? Thanks - Karen

No of course I dont mind - after all if you cant get it working to your satisfaction then my time is wasted! :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Hercules - I have been able to use the formula for every aspect of the data I need to compare - am running Pivot Tables now to analyze. Thank you again!!

Upvote 0
Hercules - I have been able to use the formula for every aspect of the data I need to compare - am running Pivot Tables now to analyze. Thank you again!!

That great! I know you had some concerns about the pivot tables. They aren't a strong point with me, so I hope they are OK.
Looks like we made it in the end. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kersh82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back