Excel doesn't load my custom template upon opening new workbook

PeteWright

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hello everybody!

I made a custom template with some changes on vertical text alignment and page layout and as instructed saved the template as *.xlst under my user template folder, which I found is C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\ but still Excel opens the default Workbook, which I'm not really interested in.

Well, I must be doing something wrong, but what?

Now that is my question. Any help appreciated.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.

Locate the XLStart folder​

Any workbook, template, or workspace file that you place in the XLStart folder is automatically opened when you start Excel. To find out the path of the XLStart folder, check the Trust Center settings. To do so:

1. Click File > Options.
  2. Click Trust Center, and then under Microsoft Office Excel Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings.
  3. Click Trusted Locations, and then verify the path to the XLStart folder in the list of trusted locations.

Upvote 0
To use it as the default workbook template it should be saved as book.xltx in the XLSTART folder.

Upvote 0
Solution

Locate the XLStart folder​

Any workbook, template, or workspace file that you place in the XLStart folder is automatically opened when you start Excel. To find out the path of the XLStart folder, check the Trust Center settings. To do so:

1. Click File > Options.
  2. Click Trust Center, and then under Microsoft Office Excel Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings.
  3. Click Trusted Locations, and then verify the path to the XLStart folder in the list of trusted locations.

To use it as the default workbook template it should be saved as book.xltx in the XLSTART folder.
Thanks.

Actually I don't want Excel to start with anything, but it's OK if it is my custom template.
So finally I taught Excel to use my custom template (I've put a Book.xltx into the Excel Startup folder) and everything works.
The thing that I've done wrong all the time was clicking on the Home > New > Blank workbook thumbnail as this one creates a new workbook from an Excel default template and not the one I made.
I misunderstood this icon.
Now since I created a new workbook from my template a new thumbnail appeared showing some stock image which, when clicked, uses my template to create a new workbook.

And in the end all is fine :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jitesh_Sharma

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back