Excel macro that will fill cells with data from a source document to a new workbook template

janesvilleman

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this site and want to thank anyone who takes the time to look at this.

For my job, we are given a list of items that have a corresponding item number, item code, unit, quantity, etc. We take these individual items and we take the information and put it into a template summary sheet to track quantity to pay the contractor. Here is an example of how it is laid out:

Item DescriptionUnitsItem CodeProp. LineQuantity PlacedQuantity PaidAuthorized QuantityInitial QuantityPending ChangesUnit Price
Removing Old StructureLS203.0200006000110$150,000
Debris ContainmentLS203.0225.S016000110$0.01
Exc For Structure BridgesLS206.100006600.60.6110$13,883.85

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

The list goes on. "Item Description" is in cell A1 for reference.

What we then do is take the item and make its own sheet in a new workbook that is the same template for each item. The information used is Item Description, Units, Item Code, and Prop. Line. This information goes into the same cell on the template for each item. Usually this is a short process to do it manually for a smaller size job. These big jobs have over 1800 items. That would take weeks to create them all manually.

Is there a macro that can be written or other way to take the row of information and fill in the template sheet for each individual row of information in an entire spreadsheet? The template looks like this where "ITEM:" is in cell A1 for Reference:

ITEM:**Fill Item Description Here Cell B1&C1 MergedProject ID1005-10-77
ITEM #:**Fill Item Number Here Cell B2&C2 MergedROADWAYIH 39
CATEGORY:1000DESCRIPTIONHIGHWAY
ENTERED BY:CRTCOUNTYROCK
CHECKED BY:MCWPLAN QUANTITY1 LS
**Fill Units Here* Cell C6

<tbody>
</tbody>

Another thing we do (if this can be included in the macro, not a huge deal) is we name each new file as Propline_ItemNumber_ItemDescription. We can do that manually if needed. We still have to go into each sheet and add certain things anyways. The file path to save each new sheet will be a new folder on my desktop.

Me being super green to all this, could anyone who helps please put all the steps in the macro so that if i need to change a range or tweak something, I can do it easily? I don't mean to be needy, but like I said, I just started looking at this a week ago so be gentle!

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back