Excel Mutiple User Problem

gheyman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have (inherited) a spreadsheet where about 5 people enter data and about 20 other people view the data. My problem is the 5 people can never enter data because someone else always has it open. Any suggestions as to a what would work in this situation? How can I have a spreadsheet where if someone needs to enter data they can and not have to worry about other people being in it?

Its a very basic spreadsheet with about 20 columns and its a dumb sheet. Basically a table (FYI This company doesn't like Microsoft Access)

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Excel does not play well with more than one person accessing a workbook at the same time.

I've never used OneDrive but from Microsoft's description this may be a solution (see attached).

A workaround would be to have a separate file on the server .. one for each employee. This would require each employee
does not need to know the entries of the other employees ... or their entry is not dependent on something the others entered.

Then you could have a master file that loops thru their individual workbooks on the server, copies their entries, then pastes everything
in the Master File for you to review.

???

Download document : https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/1BC100PAdbiqTjhTAYiWsmAz8dvR9TAg6ExP32D3liy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back