Excel VBA assign unique ID to data set

nitrammada

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Folks,

I'm setting up a spread sheet that will ultimately have up to 10,000 records in it.
I need to assign a unique ID to each row. I don't want to use a formula with "+1" as I will have to delete rows and add rows from time to time and I need the ID to remain constant(unique) to that row of data. I don't want to use autofill and then cut and paste into an adjacent column. So i figure I will need to use VBA. Let's say my unique ID number is in column B, I need to be able to insert a row anywhere in my spread sheet and for a unique ID number to populate the cell in column B. The code will need to search for the highest ID number in column B (the ID will be a number) and then assign the next highest number in column B in the row I have just inserted. Does that make sense? Can anyone help me with this? I'm not very proficient with VB (dummy actually) so if you have any code I could use I would be most grateful. I'm using Windows 10, 64 bit

Thanks in advance

Adam

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I am trying to make use of this solution and adjusted it the way I need it. Basically just making use of column A instead of column B.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim Rng As Range
Application.EnableEvents = False
  Set Rng = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    If Target.Rows.Count = 1 Then
        Select Case True
            Case Target.Row <= Rng.Count: Cells(Target.Row, "A") = Application.Max(Rng) + 1
            Case Target.Row = Rng.Count + 1: Cells(Target.Row, "A") = Application.Max(Rng) + 1
            Case Cells(Target.Row - 1, "A") = Cells(Target.Row, "A") = Cells(Target.Row, "A") = Application.Max(Rng) + 1
        End Select
    End If
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

It seems to work fine, but let me ask: how are things supposed to work when deleting a row? Here deleting a row makes the rows below the deleted row move upwards and receiving new numbers ...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookie2956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back