Exporting data to other columns in the same work book

Cargodog

Hello,

I'm not sure how to explain my question, as I'm not familiar with the Excel Lingo, but here goes.

I have created a calculator for position sizing of stocks. It's very basic. Just a few inputs and the other data are calculated - brilliant.

Now, as time passes, I'd like to keep a log of my trades. I've created the columns I need underneath the calculator, as I want to keep everything on the same page. In my log I will need most of the values that are in the calculator (both manually inserted and calculated). I could just enter them manually every time, but that seems a bit cumbersome.

Question: Can I enter all the values in my calculator, get the results and then transfer necessary data to a NEW line on my log?

I don't know if that makes, sense.

Thanks in advance...

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Can you post a screen shot of what your data looks like? Section B at this link has instructions on how to post a screen shot: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/127080-guidelines-forum-use.html Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com. or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and worksheets. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0
Thank you Mumps. Here's the link to a screen shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxqrs7p48n11jig/Screen shot.jpg?dl=0

Everything in the yellow box is my calculator. Only the white cells are used for making inputs. All other cell colors are results. Once I have done my calculation, I will use the info from my calculator to place my trade at my broker. When I have done that, I then need to fill in my log, with all the details that are listed below the calculator. Instead of writing the date, direction, amount, Entry P, S/L, 1R, etc, I would like to just "export" the data from the calculator to the next data line below. Here's the kicker: Next time I calculate and place a trade with a different stock (maybe on a different day), I would like to be able to "export" the same type of data to my log, but this time it would need to automatically be inserted on a new line.

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
I can see the data in the log but I can't see where in your calculator that data is coming from. Instead of a screen shot could you upload you actual file? De-sensitize it if necessary. It would make it easier to test a possible solution. Explain in detail what data you want in your log and where that data is coming from.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify further. See new screen shot link below.

Example: Today I calculate my figures for trade 1. After placing the trade, I need to log the details of that trade. Most of the info in the log can be derived directly from the calculator. Eg, "Entry P" (G24) can be derived from "Entry Price" (E7) in the calculator.

Tomorrow I will calculate and place another trade. Again I need to log the "Entry Price" (E7), but this time I need it to be exported to (G25) automatically.

Screen shot link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdq3tchfr0fv2wk/Screen Shot 2.jpg?dl=0

Upvote 0
I can see the data in the log but I can't see where in your calculator that data is coming from. Instead of a screen shot could you upload you actual file? De-sensitize it if necessary. It would make it easier to test a possible solution. Explain in detail what data you want in your log and where that data is coming from.

Here's a link to the actual file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rombscruukrnzt7/Position Sizing Calculator For MrExcel.xlsx?dl=0

Thanks for your help...

Upvote 0
G24 ("Entry P" )= $12.00 and E7 ("Entry Price") = $18.37. How do you get $12.00 from $18.37 ? Where do 12 Nov, LONG, BOUNCE and AMZN come from?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry. The info in the log is just random numbers for now. They should obviously be the same once E7 is exported to G24. Same goes for E14 H24.

I don't have a problem exporting the data I need on line 24. The problem is when I need to export different data from the same cells to a new line, Ie line 25.

Upvote 0
OK. That makes sense. You have ENTRY DATE DIRECTION STRATEGY STOCK AMOUNT ENTRY P S/L 1R CHOSEN R TP EXIT DATE EXITE PRICE P/L % P/L $
in line 23 of the log. E7 is exported to G24 and E14 to H24. Could you indicate in the same manner the source and destination cells for the other columns (B:F and I:O)?

Upvote 0
I can try. I haven't figured it all out yet. So...

C24 is derived from E7-E8. If positive, result LONG. If negative, result SHORT
F24 is derived from E12
G24 is derived from E7
H24 is derived from E8
I24 is derived from E14
J24 is derived from E9
K24 is derived from E11
N24 Haven't figured that part out yet
O24 Haven't figured that part out yet

I hope this explains.. Thanks again...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back