Extract numbers only from middle of string

sharky12345

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a formula I can use which will extract the numbers only from the middle of a string?

The string currently looks like this;

Tygoolhou3837T14

I need to be able to extract the '3837' part - this will always be in between 2 letters. The number of letters before may change, but the number after will not, so another example would be;

Pjhdauajbsna25614D07

If it's not possible using a formula then I'm equally to use VBA but I would prefer a formula.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.

Book1
AB
1Tygoolhou3837T143837
2Pjhdauajbsna25614D0725614
Sheet15
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1{=MID(A1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & LEN(A1))),1)),0),MATCH(FALSE,ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT(MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & LEN(A1))),1)),0) & ":" & LEN(A1))),1)),0)-1)}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it always end with a string of 3 characters(like T14 and D07) then this should work

Book1
AB
1Tygoolhou3837T143837
Sheet16
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1{=MID(A1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & LEN(A1))),1)),0),LEN(A1)-MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & LEN(A1))),1)),0)-2)}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
Or try:

=LOOKUP(10^35,--MID(A1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(--MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)),0),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))))

Enter with C+S+E

Upvote 0
Hi,

Another way, Non-Array, Normally entered:

Book1
AB
1Tygoolhou3837T143837
Sheet430
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=MID(A1,MIN(FIND({0,1,2,3,4}+{0;5},A1&1/17)),LEN(MID(A1,MIN(FIND({0,1,2,3,4}+{0;5},A1&1/17)),99))-3)

Upvote 0
Guys, thanks to all of you for your suggestions, I have 1 further question now...

How would I use any of those formulas to achieve the same result on a userform, using a textbox value as the value of 'A1'?

I assume a worksheetfunction but I don't know how to do that if someone can assist me?

Upvote 0
That's Not what you originally asked, what you want now Requires VBA, so, as a matter of fact, it's completely the opposite.

If it's not possible using a formula then I'm equally to use VBA but I would prefer a formula.

One possible way is, within your Userform Code, Store/assign the Textbox value to a Cell in the sheet, then reference one of the above formulas of your choice to That cell...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Correct, it's not what I originally asked for - my original question was answered and I have now asked for assistance in taking it a step further, as I then went on to say:

I have 1 further question now

As the project has now developed further I have realised that VBA may be a better solution, which is why I am now asking if the solution can be adapted to use in VBA.

Upvote 0
I've edited my post above to include a suggestion.

Your project has changed quite quickly, within 2 1/2 hours...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back