Extracting Data from a secondary worksheet if the vendor and invoice match

leighnea

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two worksheets. Worksheet 1 is the Detail AP Listing which has the vendor #, Invoice number and the description of what the invoice is for. Worksheet 2 is the GL which has the vendor # and the invoice number but not the description. I need to populate the Description of the invoice in the GL. THERE ARE DUPLICATE INVOICE NUMBERS so the Vlookup doesn't work.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Have you tried Index-Match formulas as an array?

Smething like this

Code:
=INDEX(Sheet2!C:C;MATCH(Sheet1!C9&Sheet1!D9;Sheet2!A:A&Sheet2!B:B;0))

change sheets and colums as you wish..

That will find a row where the two criterias needing to match, then input the description that follows the vendor and invoice number. so a double match.

Important!!! to make this work at all you need to use ctrl+shift+enter when you use the formula, or it will give you a value!/!NA! error.

Getting a snapshot of your two worksheets would help tho.

If you need help setting it up just ask ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have tried using the formula you gave however it doesn't except it.

Upvote 0
I have tried using the formula you gave however it doesn't except it.

Code:
=INDEX(Sheet2!M:M;MATCH(Sheet1!G1&Sheet1!H1;Sheet2!A:A&Sheet2!C:C;0))

then this is your formula in the first cell of the column of your choosing.. when you copy paste this in

Press ctrl+shift+enter

if you just hit enter you will get an error.

You could do this with a Macro instead tho, might be faster then arrays if you have 4k rows as sheet1 have.

Edit: if you struggle with this last part there are youtube vids 2min long that explains it for you :)
Edit2: I see its column B, so insert it there :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=INDEX(Sheet3!D:D;MATCH(Aging!A2&Aging!C2;Sheet3!G:G&Sheet3!F:F;0))

When I press ctrl+shift+enter it says... The formula you typed contains an error. What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
=INDEX(Sheet3!D:D;MATCH(Aging!A2&Aging!C2;Sheet3!G:G&Sheet3!F:F;0))

When I press ctrl+shift+enter it says... The formula you typed contains an error. What am I doing wrong?

Hmm, I just Pasted it in straight off your input there, before making a sheet called "Aging". And right after pasting it in (I select the whole area I want the formula to be in, and paste, then hit ctrl+shift+enter), before doing anything else just hit "ctrl+shift+enter". Your formula works on my end :S pasted it right in

Upvote 0
Hmm, indeed, it did not work, and wont work inhere. You should use addons/programs supplied by the MrExcel team :)

Upvote 0
Sorry I pasted a screen shot and then it turned into that. Where can I access addons/programs to use? I have tried to even email to pay for support to get the formula to work and it said the mail box is full. Is there anyway to attach a copy of the file so maybe someone can see what is wrong. It still isn't working.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back