Find/Replace NOT finding

legreenwood

I'm creating a database of prospects and have gleaned some info from the web. The problem is, the lists I copied & pasted have "Email: " prior to e-mail addresses and "Website: " prior to website addresses. I thought I could just find & replace these with nothing, but Excel doesn't see these prefixes. In playing with it I tried even just the colon or just "email," but it doesn't see any part of it. It did copy these in as hyperlinks originally but I removed hyperlinks - Find didn't work before or after removing hyperlinks.

Please help!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Hello,

It would be important to reproduce the problem on my computer so I could help you. I may not even be able to do that, but to start can you tell me your browser, excel version, and give an example of where/how exactly you copied one of the links? A second question is, if some basic excel functions aren't seeing that text, what other functions are ignoring that text? Is it actually messing up you filtering the data? Does it continue to copy that additional text when you copy and paste it to other cells?

One fix might be using Text To Columns and use ":" as the delimiter?

Let me know if Text To Columns did it for you, or come back with additional info please.

Upvote 0
Thank you - I tried not using the space to see if it would find a portion of the part I want to remove, and got the same (no) result.

On a related topic, how do I get rid of the trailing space? I have another project where the data is from a csv file & there's a trailing space. I know it's a simple (few keystrokes) resolution but I can't remember the keys or sequence.

Upvote 0
ADL87 - thank you! I'm unfamiliar with Text to Columns & Excel Help yielded things that won't work for me, such as splitting the data. I have to have "hard coded" data so I can use the e-mail addresses for an e-mail blast, so if it's splitting the data that won't work for me (I'd be copying the formula instead of the data.) Forgive my ignorance - it's probably not what you intend yet it's all I could find in Excel Help. I'm using Excel 2013 in Office 365 & copied the data using Chrome. It doesn't affect filtering, and it does copy the additional text when I copy & paste to other cells. The countif function finds the word, while Find does not.

Upvote 0
Once the formula has done it's stuff, all you need to do is copy the results and paste them as values, then you will be copying, er, values and not formulae!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back