Finding First Positive Value in A row

tomastriginer

Hello everyone,

To summarise:

I am a quite expereinced excel user and usually end up fixing my problems but this time I have to ask online.

Does anyone know how to use the following formula using different intervals along a single row?

=MATCH(1,INDEX(1/($B51:$LM51>0),0),0)

To understand my issue in more detail to be able to offer me other alternatives please read the following:

I am creating a cashflow model which starts in month 1 and goes on till month 300. I am expecting to make one of the outcomes of the model the month number in which the business would breakeven. Keep in mind that the breakeven point will vary depending on many variables.

To achieve this I tried to apply the following formula which finds the first positive value in a given range.

=MATCH(1,INDEX(1/($B51:$LM51>0),0),0)

This would work if it wasn't for the fact that I need to put an empty column every 12th months. Because of these empty columns the outcome I get is always higher. For example if Breakeven was in moth 26 the outcome of the formula would be 28 instead because of the two empty columns in between. I tried to use the formula above using different intervals but it gave me a value error.
How can I solve this problem?
An alternative I thought about but can't execute is to enter the whole row and then just exclude the empty cells somehow.

Would really appreciate your help,

Tomas

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
=match(1,index(1/($b51:$lm51>0),0),0)-int(match(1,index(1/($b51:$lm51>0),0),0)/13)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sameri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back