Finding intersection of a dynamic row and a dynamic column

bearsmk99

Hello,

I'm trying to find a formula that will help me find the intersection of a row and a column. I know that you can use Vlookup, or Index/match, or Sumproduct.

In one sheet called SUMMARY I'm trying to find the intersection (the value) of a row called SALES and a column called Current Year for every single company that I have as worksheets within the same file. For example, I have a sheet called GOOGLE, another called Microsoft, another called Netflix. In each sheet, I have Sales $, Earnings, EBITDA, etc all listed in one column. And I have years 2013 to 2022 listed in one row. In my summary sheet, I would have Google, Microsoft and Netflix listed in column A and in column B I would have their corresponding value of their Sales $ for 2018 (or 2019), depending on what year I choose using the formula I'm trying to find.

But my problem is this, my file has different worksheets (over 300 worksheets) of different companies In some of the sheets, the sales reference is in column B, and in others its in column C, and in others its in column D. While the years might be on Row 4, some in Row 10, and some in row 24.....they might be on different rows depending on the sheet is what I'm trying to get at. So my formula has got to be dynamic and account for these changes. I have tried using the index/match formula but this implies that the sales ref would always be in the same column and the years are always on the same row. I'm trying to a formula that will give me the intersection of a specific row and a specific column in variable arrays located in different locations on sheets so I can summarize the sales $$ for a specific year in a sheet called SUMMARY.

Sorry If this explanation is too detailed...let me know if you need more specifics.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
If your headers are consistently in row 1 and column A, then try this approach

=INDEX(A:AAA,MATCH("SALES",A:A,0),MATCH("Current Year",1:1,0))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBFrieds

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back