Finding the Sheet Name on Named Tabs

spyldbrat

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hello,

If I were to rename "Sheet 1" to "My Tab", is there a way for me to find out that "My Tab" is actually "Sheet 1"?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
When you say "Sheet 1" are you referring to the sheet name, the sheet index, or the sheet codename?

Upvote 0
Hello,

If I were to rename "Sheet 1" to "My Tab", is there a way for me to find out that "My Tab" is actually "Sheet 1"?
As long as you have not changed the CodeName of the sheet, you can use that to determine the original name of the sheet.

MsgBox Sheets("My Tab").CodeName

Upvote 0
I am looking for the sheet name.

what Rick provided will not work. I am getting error and it's referencing "sheet 3". I don't which tab is sheet 3.

Upvote 0
AFAIK once you have changed the sheet name, there is no way of finding out what it was previously called.

Upvote 0
I am looking for the sheet name.

what Rick provided will not work. I am getting error and it's referencing "sheet 3". I don't which tab is sheet 3.
First off, unless you went through the trouble of physically changing each tab, your original sheet names do not have a space in front of the number, so it would be "Sheet3", not "Sheet 3"). Second, you originally asked "is there a way for me to find out that 'My Tab' is actually 'Sheet 1'?" which is what the code I gave you did. Your latest message makes it appear that your original question should have been "is there a way to find out what name currently appears on the tab for the sheet originally named Sheet1?". Try this...

MsgBox Sheet1.Name

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back