For Each/Next Do While Conumdrum

Matt_O

Board Regular
Hi Excel Wizards,

I am trying to figure out how to cycle through a column of dates whereby if there are duplicate dates the code runs some If/Then statements and adds data into offset cells. Then I would like to skip over the duplicate dates and start the compare and If/Then process again on the next date.

I capture the first date in Cell(x, 1) and compare it to the Cell below (x +1, 1) and all subsequent rows.

Currently I'm using a For Each cell In Range(Cells (x + 1, 1), Cells(endRow, 1)) to cycle through the column of dates. If there is a match (a duplicate date) to the date in the first row (Cell(x, 1)) then the If/Then statements come into play.

My data looks like this:

Date Client Item
7/3/17 ACME Hammer
7/3/17 ACME Nails
7/3/17 ACME Hammer
7/10/17 BOSS Hammer
7/10/17 BOSS Nails
7/17/17 ACME Nails

So I capture the first date in row 2 (where x = 2 for defining the Cells address) and then cycle through rows 3 (Cells(x + 1, 1)) to 6 looking to match date, company, and item.

Here's what my data looks like after the initial For Each cell loop has completed.

Date Client Item
7/3/17 ACME Hammer
7/3/17 ACME Nails
7/3/17 ACME Duplicate Item (was Hammer)
7/10/17 BOSS Hammer
7/10/17 BOSS Nails
7/17/17 ACME Nails

Code:
For Each cell In Range(Cells(x,  1), Cells(endRow, 1) 'this is the target date used for comparison

d = cell.Value ' the date
  c = cell.Offset(0, 1).Value ' client name
  i = cell.Offset(0, 2).Value ' item name

For Each cell_compare In Range(Cells(x + 1, 1), Cells(endRow, 1) ' this loops through the cells below the target date cell

d_compare = cell_compare.Value ' date to compare
     c_compare = cell_compare.Offset(0, 1).Value  'company to compare
     d_compare = cell_compare.Offset(0, 2).Value 'item to compare

If d_compare = d And c_compare = c And d_compare = d Then ' this means date, company, and item are a match
             cell_compare.Offset(0, 2).Value = "Duplicate Item" 'replaces the duplicate item with this note
         End If
   Next cell_compare

Next cell ' here is where I would like to skip to row 4 instead of row 2 since this is the next new date (7/10/17).

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make the second instance of the For Each line of code jump to row 4 (next date) instead of row 2?

I though perhaps a Do While loop might work, as in loop through a range while the dates match, but again I couldn't figure out how to move to the next new date and not just the next row.

Thanks for reading. And special thanks to anyone with suggestions!

Cheers,
Matt

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I think this is what you mean. Test it first on a copy workbook:

Code:
Dim fr As Long, lr As Long, i As Long

Sheets("Sheet1").Select

fr = 2
lr = Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For i = fr To lr
    Range("C" & i) = Evaluate(Replace(Replace("=IF(COUNTIFS(A#:A@,A@,B#:B@,B@,C#:C@,C@)=1,C@,""Duplicate Item"")", "@", i), "#", fr))
Next

Upvote 0
Thanks steve the fish.

This worked out perfect. Although I have no idea how to decipher that formula :)

Cheers,
Matt

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adiadidas

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back