excelnoob614

I have an existing workbook done by a previous employee...I am having several formula issues so in an attempt to teach myself whats needed and do refresh the workbook I am recreating it from scratch. I have already hit a roadblock though. Firstly this file basically acts as a "to do list". The formula I need that used no longer works for some reason is =SUM(D2-COUNTIF(G:L,"x")). It comes back with a value of 0 which is currently wrong. If someone can look at that formula and see exactly what I am wanting done in that cell please let me know how to fix it.

Thanks,
Ben

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Welcome to the forum.

The SUM in the formula is not needed, but it doesn't hurt anything. It could be rewritten as

=D2-COUNTIF(G:L,"x")

This is a very basic formula, it just counts the number of x's in columns G:L, and subtracts that number from what's in D2. So if D2 = the number of x's, you'll get 0. If that is not the case, and you still get 0, you'll need to explain why it is wrong, possibly show a sample of your data.

Upvote 0
I figured it was a basic quote....yes I am new to excel since the last time I used it was in middle school 15 years ago and I feel like I understand the basics. Your reply was very helpful and after more tinkering I figured out the real problem was the range of G:L. I have this formula set above other text which was throwing things off so I guess the next question is I modified the range to G5:L1000000 to get what I actually need but didn't know if there was a better way of doing the range. If you could tell me how to post a screenshot/pic/file on here that is not tied to a URL I can post what I am currently working on. As I've said this is a glorified "to do list" so most of these formulas will be basic. When I start adding tracking info for summaries is when I expect to have more involved formulas.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I have a new request on a formula in the same area. The formula from before that stopped working is =IF(AND(COUNTIF(G5:L5,"x")=D5,D5>0),IF(F5="",NOW(),F5),""). Basically I want it to input the current date once the required fields in G:L are filled in with an "x". An explanation of the layout of my worksheet is in B I have a name of something I need to do, C is just a manual counter, D is how many times I need to repeat C G:L represents D and after each time I put 1 "x" for each time I've completed 1 "rep". If i have 3 reps in D then I will need to put 1 "x" in each column G:I. Once I have put the last "x" in I want that current date automatically filled into F. I hope that explains what I'm looking for and I hope someone can help me out with this. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back