Formula Troubles

pk1985

Hey all,

Sort of a novice to excel here...

I'm having a huge amount of difficulty getting excel to understand what I'd like. Essentially, I want to take data I input into three separate columns and have it inputted into an equation. The equation is 0.5(4/3*(pi*a*b*c)). Four-thirds multiplied by pi multiplied by a multiplied by b multiplied by c, all divided by 2.
a, b, and c are essentially values from columns 1,2, and 3.
Each time I input = followed by my equation in the cell I want it to appear (including selecting the appropriate cells from which to import the values of a,b, and c), an error message pops up. If I need to pare down the equation more simple to allow for this to work, I can.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Suppose your data are in A2, B2 and C2. In D2 (or some cell in row 2), you might write:

=A2*B2*C2*PI()*4/3/2

or

=A2*B2*C2*PI()*2/3

or if you prefer:

=0.5*(4/3)*PI()*A2*B2*C2

Upvote 0
I appreciate your help with this matter. Unfortunately, no matter how I input this, the cell that should display the calculated value has a ‘#NAME?’ Error associated with it. Any tips?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Did you input the pi function like PI() , with the brackets exactly like joeu2004 shown in Post # 2 ?

Upvote 0
You're welcome, welcome to the forum, glad we can help.

FYI, the () is how Excel differentiates an Excel Function compared to the Text/Word PI (i.e., if you type "today" without quotes, in a cell, it's just Text, but if you type "today()" without quotes, now Excel knows you want the TODAY function).

Upvote 0
My wording was terrible above, let me rephrase:

FYI, the () is how Excel differentiates an Excel Function compared to the Text/Word PI (i.e., if you type "today" without quotes, in a cell, it's just Text, if you type "=today" or have "today" without quotes anywhere after an equal sign, due to the equal sign, Excel knows you wrote a formula, but "today", by itself is Not a function and is just Text, so you get #NAME? error, if you type "=today()" or anywhere after an equal sign, without quotes, now Excel knows you want the TODAY function).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gkiller

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back