A - Name of Customer
B - Date of Sale
C - Month of Sale
D - Cost
E - Sell
F - Margin
G - Profit
H - Description

I want to auto populate Column H when I type in the name of the customer in Column A.

In Description I have a list of all items they order so when I put there name in I want it to auto populate column H with that list.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

andy616

Hey everyone.

Okay so I have a speadsheet with 8 columns which are:

A - Name of Customer
B - Date of Sale
C - Month of Sale
D - Cost
E - Sell
F - Margin
G - Profit
H - Description

I want to auto populate Column H when I type in the name of the customer in Column A.

In Description I have a list of all items they order so when I put there name in I want it to auto populate column H with that list.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance
Do you want just a full list of what they order (bread and milk and eggs) or a drop down list to choose from (bread or milk or eggs)?

PunkyP7

Do you want just a full list of what they order (bread and milk and eggs) or a drop down list to choose from (bread or milk or eggs)?
In Column H, it is just free text of what they order, no dropdowns or anything just a list of stuff separated by comma's if that makes sense?

andy616

In Column H, it is just free text of what they order, no dropdowns or anything just a list of stuff separated by comma's if that makes sense?
Ok, this is how I would do it, but there may be more clever ways...

You need a master list of 2 columns. One header being the customer and the other header being the description of whatever you want it to return. Kind of like this:
CustomerDescription
DaveBread, Milk, Eggs
JohnBread, Milk

<tbody>
</tbody>

Then put a vlookup formula into your main sheet that will look against this master table. Something like this:

Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(I8,$N$8:$O$9,2,0),"-")
I'm not too sure how familiar you are with the VLOOKUP function, so say if the formula doesn't make any sense. But this formula will basically return the description you put into the master table when the Customer's name is entered. If there is no Customer or a Customer that is not in your master list it will return a value of "-"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquin Phoenix

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...