Help with Creating a Schedule

dinokathy

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows

Morning all,

I need some help. I need to create a schedule and cannot figure out how to do it properly. Here's what I need to:

Take the value of a cell (in the link below, that's cells B4 and E4) and divide it by the number of hours in the schedule (B1 and E1) and then create a number that will sit in the schedule at 15 minute intervals. During hour 3 and hour 4, consistent with each schedule, I need to reduce the number of slots by 25%.

The problem I am having is that that fractions add up to the total but due to rounding, either add too many or too little when you add up the rounded number and I cannot figure out how to 'smooth' them out and add to another cell. I've tried alternating the rounding by having every other cell round up but that's not helping! If I could get the numbers close consistently, that would be great. They don't have to match right on the nose but within one or two would be acceptable. The customary range of the number in cells B4 and E4 is between usually between 25 and 200 and the number of hours is 4, 5 or 6 hours.

https://drive.google.com/file/<wbr>d/1EqVp_<wbr>dycVMYrX8TIkNWMuTgKEN8ogvQw/<wbr>view?usp=sharing

ANY help is really really appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
*Just realised I had no row 31, change C to $B$36 or remove the row

Wow. That's freaking awesome and wow. Thank you so much! Wow. Thank you thank you!

I have another project swimming in my head related to this one that the logic you have shown me might help me unlock and it is related to this project. It has to do with the donor flow but think about this for a second and let me know if you have a way to work it out. I had it about 1/2 done but never was able to finish it out:

If you've ever given blood, you know you walk in, read some information, go behind the screen, answer some questions, we take your vitals and then you go out and sit in the beds and give blood. The whole process, if there's no wait, should take about 45 minutes or so. Some a little longer due to having to look up medications you are taking, areas you have traveled, your blood is flowing slowly because of small veins, etc. I am trying to figure a way to estimate, given the number of staff at a blood drive, which relates directly to capacity, and the presenting number of donors. Another variable in the process is a deferral - someone who comes in to give and spends time reading and going behind the screen to answer questions or have vitals checked but is turned away due to high blood pressure, tattoos, etc. Those add to the process on the front end but not on the back end (the actual needle in the arm part). The timing of the variables for the donor are as follows:

Reading - 2-3 min
Screening - 5-15 min, average is about 8
Actual donation - 15-30 (6-10 or so of that is needle in the arm time, rest is staff preparing the blood bag, scrubbing your arm, sitting in the chair after your give recovering)

So what I am trying to do is create a sheet where you input the following variables:
# of staff
Donors processed per staff per hour
# hours
# donors needing to be seen
# health history stations
# donor beds

Then, based on those variables, take the donor processing times from above and randomize the amount of time for each 'station' the donor visits and then move them on to the next station. As the donor flow exceeds the capacity, the time at each station will increase. So if there's a back up in Screening, the time the donor spends in Reading will increase.

Just a simple little project really.... :)

Thank you again so much for your help. You have really helped a number of people save quite a bit of time and frustration!!!!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Wow. That's freaking awesome and wow. Thank you so much! Wow. Thank you thank you!

I have another project swimming in my head related to this one that the logic you have shown me might help me unlock and it is related to this project. It has to do with the donor flow but think about this for a second and let me know if you have a way to work it out. I had it about 1/2 done but never was able to finish it out:

If you've ever given blood, you know you walk in, read some information, go behind the screen, answer some questions, we take your vitals and then you go out and sit in the beds and give blood. The whole process, if there's no wait, should take about 45 minutes or so. Some a little longer due to having to look up medications you are taking, areas you have traveled, your blood is flowing slowly because of small veins, etc. I am trying to figure a way to estimate, given the number of staff at a blood drive, which relates directly to capacity, and the presenting number of donors. Another variable in the process is a deferral - someone who comes in to give and spends time reading and going behind the screen to answer questions or have vitals checked but is turned away due to high blood pressure, tattoos, etc. Those add to the process on the front end but not on the back end (the actual needle in the arm part). The timing of the variables for the donor are as follows:

Reading - 2-3 min
Screening - 5-15 min, average is about 8
Actual donation - 15-30 (6-10 or so of that is needle in the arm time, rest is staff preparing the blood bag, scrubbing your arm, sitting in the chair after your give recovering)

So what I am trying to do is create a sheet where you input the following variables:
# of staff
Donors processed per staff per hour
# hours
# donors needing to be seen
# health history stations
# donor beds

Then, based on those variables, take the donor processing times from above and randomize the amount of time for each 'station' the donor visits and then move them on to the next station. As the donor flow exceeds the capacity, the time at each station will increase. So if there's a back up in Screening, the time the donor spends in Reading will increase.

Just a simple little project really.... :)

Thank you again so much for your help. You have really helped a number of people save quite a bit of time and frustration!!!!

Sounds like there's alot to think about there, maybe map out what you would want it to look like and what you want to accomplish (like where to send people in order to process as many at a time for instance), and start up a new post.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back