Help with extracting data into list

Apollo_event

Hi All, New to the group and I have a problem that is probably very simple but it has me stumped.
I have a list of names produced by some calculations. This list has spaces in it where the results mean that the name is not required (like a staff required list)
I want to be able to use the list of names elsewhere in the sheet but not have the spaces.
I have been away from Excel for quite a while and am struggling to get a solution.
I have found a sample that uses arrays, the small command and row command but when I transfer it to my sheet it does not work.

Sorry to ramble

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Re: Help with extracting data into list (Index & Small functions)

Hi All, New to the group and I have a problem that is probably very simple but it has me stumped.
I have a list of names produced by some calculations. This list has spaces in it where the results mean that the name is not required (like a staff required list)
I want to be able to use the list of names elsewhere in the sheet but not have the spaces.
I have been away from Excel for quite a while and am struggling to get a solution.
I have found a sample that uses arrays, the small command and row command but when I transfer it to my sheet it does not work.

Sorry to ramble
I have tried a formula that uses index, small, row and it works in the example but not my sheet.
I have found that it I add a row the formula no longer works correctly, Is there something odd about working with arrays if they do not start in row 1 ???

Upvote 0

Sorry to ramble

Maybe this in C2 and copy down (Array Formula - use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to enter the formula):

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$19,
SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$19<>"",ROW($A$2:$A$19)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($C$2:$C2))),"")

****ABCDE
1List of Names
Without Spaces

2Name01
Name01

Name02

Name03

5Name02
Name04

Name05

Name06

8Name03
Name07

9Name04
Name08

10Name05
Name09

Name10

13Name06

14Name07

15Name08

18Name09

19Name10

20****************************************

<tbody>
</tbody>

Markmzz

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheerfulWalker

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back